Speakers "Disappearing"

I have read a lot about speakers "disappearing" so that one can't tell from where the sound is emanating. But, what about all the stereo tunes where the recordiing engineer intentionally pans the music to come from one side or the other? Can the speakers be made to "disappear" in that situation? Or, is it just the nature of the particular recording?
rlb61
Sorry ebm if your Magicos put you in "despair"
My problem is a bit different, mine disappeared 5 years ago, I haven't found them since ..  😉
My BAT VK-220 "fell off" the FedEx truck in Indianapolis a few weeks ago and can't be found. Looking for another...

If a given recording is panned fairly hard left and right, then most of the instruments will appear to be coming from the general location in which the left and right speakers are situated.  But this is really coincidental.

Disappearing essentially means non-localizable.  With a full classical orchestra, the first violins should (normally) equally occupy a swathe of the half-circle in front of you that starts outside the left speaker and continues, with equal volume/intensity, to somewhere inside the left speaker.

You want speakers to disappear? Narrow baffles and small drivers.

Speakers with a precise image? Small drivers and single point source, coaxial or single driver.