Good Direct Drives

So I still keep thinking upgrading my current, Awia/Rega plinth/motor with debut arm and Ortofon cart turntable but after owning many years ago a few SL1200 and SL1210 MK2 and Mk5 I am hankering after a change in TT

But not sure what old model Technics or Pioneer to go for. Unless someone else can suggest another DD of this type etc

Thanks
bur70n
@pani

@chakster people who have heard the 1200G and the sp10 mk2 claim that 1200G is better. So I am not sure how you come to the opposite conclusion.

Am i said it’s better ? The porice for SP-10mkII is $1200 maximum, sometimes under $1000, not everyone willing to spend even $5000 on a turntable, just look at the OP’s budget.

What is the price for SL1200G ?

You said people comparing Sl1200G to SP-10mkII, but which tonearm? The limitation of the SL1200G is obvious with a choice of tonearm, while the SP-10MKII’s limitation is to avoid short "9inch arms to use 10.5 tonearms or "12 toneams instead.

However, i don’t care about $5000 turntables, especially if they looks like my 22 years old SL1200mkII.

The Luxman PD-444 direct drive can be purchased for $2500 max, designed for two tonearms in a proper superheavy plinth. This is my choise of turntable and i can use 99% toneamrs on it. I prefer Luxman PD-444 to Technics SP-10mkII. 
Where can I find a working Technics SP 10 MK II with arm and plinth for under $1200 in the US?
I agree that if you would want to try a different arm on the 1200G that would be a bummer. But why would you want to do that? Its a terrific arm. I have heard my share of arms and although I am not an expert, I think it performs pretty well on a 4k table, no doubt about it. Is it a perfect table, no but what table is? The SME’s are great tables, very well made. Just because they did not do "it" for me and some others does not mean they will not for somebody else. there are plenty of satified SME owners. I really liked the new Luxman belt drive table but I just could not justify the cost of it and many others after hearing the 1200G with the sh**ty arm they put on that thing. I mean really....., what were they thinking anyway?
@lewm Fremer does his testing with an iPhone. It's for entertainment purposes. 
@andysf You can find the motor for $1200. You’ll have to make your own plinth. And fit a suitable tonearm. It’s a tremendous waste of time. When all is said and done, better turntables can be had for an overall similar price. I would take the ready high density solid metal 1200G over trying to DIY some crappy plinth for an SP10MKII.