Dynaudio 1.3SE v. Silverline SR17

Has anyone compared these two speakers? The Silverlines would be the 2nd version. I can get the Silverlines for about $800 less than the Dynaudios. I think the 1,3SE might use better drivers but I'm not sure. If so, do you think there's an $800 difference? Thanks.
jimmymac
Jimmy....seriously. These are two totally different speakers. One is very efficient and will sound wonderful with low powered tubes....the 1.3SE is much more dynamic and will sound better with more power.

you need to evaluate what type of music you listen too also. If you lean towards rock/pop, the Dyaudios are the way to go...if you like softer female vocals and have tube power, the silverline is wonderful. You might consider the Sonatinas (next up the line)...they are wonderful and are still less than the 1.3SEs....

Good Luck,
Steven
I should clarify my situation. I own the 1.3SE's. I can get the Silverline for $800 less than what I could get by selling the Dynaudios. I think even the older SR17 models used Dynaudio drivers but I'm not sure if they are the equal of the drivers used in the 1.3SE's. So, I was wondering if I would lose much by going with the Silverlines. In any event, I have since decided to stay with the 1.3SE's for now and possibly check out the newer model of the Silverlines, the SR 17.5. Thanks for the suggestions.
I've owned all three versions of the SR17 short of the newest, the SR17.5's.
There is a significant improvement from the very first version to my ears, in
both the second and third. I believe Alan changed both drivers from one to
two, though I'm not sure. The version III's I own now use two Dyanaudio
drivers which I'm pretty sure are the same in the 17.5. The one thing I hated
in the vII was the choice of oversized terminals that made using spades a real
PITA. Sensibly Alan changed that in the vIII. Someone correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think the differences in the 17.5 are a revised
("improved") crossover, and a thicker MDF used for the cabinet
(going from 3/4" to 1" thick), thus making the cabinet slightly
larger and more heavy. Alan changed cabinet makers entirely from what I
heard. I believe the two Dyanaudio drivers remain the same, but should
sound different given the different crossover and heavier cabinet. I've
enjoyed all three versions of the SR17, and the current vIII I own is certainly
my favorite. They are outstanding monitors, and put out prodigious bass for
such a small monitor. Alan's claims of 38hz are slightly exaggerated IMO and
having measured the bass response in my rooms with two different amps and
two different measuring tools. I'd say it's capable of around 45hz before it
dips pretty far down. I noticed in the specs Alan has dropped the range down
to 32hz for the 17.5. I'd have to hear that to believe it, but I must say they do
go low, and are very detailed and musical speakers. No experience with the
Dynaudio 1.3SE to speak of.

Marco
The Dynaudio 1.3se used drivers that are unique to the 1.3se and are not available in any other speaker: both bass/mid and tweeter feature neodymium magnets and are considerably more powerful (and expensive) than conventional ferrite magnets.

Personally, I don't think you can do any 'better' for the money than the 1.3se: I think that they are a rare balance between phase coherence, accuracy, transparency and musicality without being overly analytical. The only thing lacking with them, in my opinion, is that they don't do super deep bass; however, they do go to 37hz in my room without any booming or smearing. Of course, since every loudspeaker seems to have its own unique personality, you may prefer another...I would buy the silverline, listen to both, and sell the lesser speaker irrespective of price.

Lastly, if you do keep the 1.3se's, consider changing out the synthetic stuffing for natural wool. I experimented with this and found a slight but worthwhile improvement in the bass and midbass with the wool. Considerig the cost (around $20) it was a very economical upgrade!