Where do I start-amp or speakers ?

While in the midst of downsizing I sold all my gear: Krell monos, Thiel CS6’s, Thiel 2.4’s, EAD Powermaster 2000, Thiel MCS1, etc.
I am now left with a headphone system based on the entry level Schitt headphone amp, Freya preamp,& a very nice Vinyl NIrvana Thorens 125 turntable,
So how’s that working out for you, you ask? Not so well. I need speakers & amp!
 I went from 2900 sq ft. To 1600 sq ft; a 25x24 room to an 18 x 16 room (high 20-24 ft cathedral ceiling, though, at least.)
I’m now on the way to build a new system , one component at a time; Ceiling is 4K per unit. Every time I see a nice amp, then I see a fine pair of speakers. Back and forth. Do I start with an amp or with speakers? Input, input........
michaeljbrown
We all agree everything is important 😉 I will certainly agree that the source is critical as everything else in the chain is dependent on it to sound its best.  Great up front gear coupled with a good speaker will yield wonderful results every time. Poor upfront gear will always limit a tremendous speaker. In the end get it all right 😊. Yeah, that’s it. 
I have a rich friend, a very rich friend , who started with a ten K system and over a years time in about 20K increments moved to a 100 K system .
The 1K speakers he started were never changed because he liked how they looked .
They had no problem showing what was what all the way up from Odyssey to Lamm .

How many of us have actually started assembling a system from absolute zero--without a single component carried over, gifted, inherited, or whatever?  In that rare case I'm going to say speakers, because (a) room size, speaker size and appearance, are much more variable and need more accommodation than electronic component size (17" anyone), and (b) all other things being equal*, variation in speakers makes a more immediate impact on overall size. (In a reasonably balanced system, where $$ are equitably spread over the different components.)

I started from ground zero with a set budget and found myself starting with speakers and then amp and preamp. I must say I knew that my dedicated listening room was going to be same for the next 5 years so was comfortable with zeroing in on my speakers. I started with Magnepan 1.7i speakers, ARC REF 5SE preamp, ARC DS450 mono-block amps and lastly my source a Meridian Media Core 200 media streamer.  I knew that I was going to follow my retailers yearly upgrade options on speakers and that I would eventually land a pair of Maggie 20.7's. Now based on the perception that Maggies require so much power my amp choice was truly wrong and eventually I replaced the solid state monos with some PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP mono-block tubes and I must say I am musically satisfied. Next purchase will be a turntable as I look to scratch my vinyl itch. Not saying by any means that I did it right but room, listening levels, music preference and speakers were the starting points for me.

Cheers

A different perspective - your room could be the real problem. 18x16 is almost square (bad) and a ceiling of 20 makes damn near cubic (very bad). The centre ridge might save you, but I wouldn't count on it.

In these circumstances, I would absolutely begin with speakers, Ralph's expertise notwithstanding. Your room effects look to dominate everything else. Consider real room-filling speakers, like the big Magnepans. Run them on $1000 solid state if need be, until you can afford to improve your electronics.

Can you audition somehow? Because that may make all the difference.

Just my opinion.