How do SVS subwoofers compare to REL?

I'm looking for subwoofers (one or two) that have a very "tight" natural sound and are not overly boomy. In the future I hope to pair them with some Magnepan speakers. Magnepans are known for having a natural sound, and I want to compliment that.

I've been told that the REL subwoofers (e.g.,T/9i or S/3 SHO, etc., are a good match for Magnepan speakers. However, SVS subwoofers have also been recommended to me.

I don't have any background in high-end audio, so I am interested in opinions of folks here. Are SVS subwoofers considered generally as good as REL in regard to the features I'm interested in? Is either clearly superior? (I had never heard of SVS before yesterday.)

Which subwoofer size (in REL or SVS) would be a good match for a pair of Magnepan 1.7i in an 18 foot x 15 foot room (ceiling about 10 feet) with carpet on floor?

I'm looking at these so far:

REL T/9i Subwoofer about $1300
REL Acoustics S/3 SHO Subwoofer (Super High Output) about $2100
SVS SB-4000 13.5" 1200W about $1600
Any other recommendations?

Total subwoofer budget is around $2600 max. ($2000 or less would be better.)

Also, I believe it is better to buy two smaller subwoofers, compared to one larger one, right? (I'm just not sure where I would put two. Placing one is easier in this room. And I plan to connect everything with speaker wires, not wireless.)

Thanks

lowoverdrive
I don’t believe you can have speakers too big for any space.

Well, I just received the two SVS PC-2000 subs I ordered, and I think they are too big for my space! I might have to send them back and get something smaller. Seriously. I am shocked at how big they are.

How do you control all that sound? ...
Your solution sounds sophisticated and impressive. It will be a while before I have the time to invest in understanding an approach like yours. I admire it, but I need a simpler solution while I continue up the learning curve -- otherwise, I might as well stop listening to music and use my time to go back and earn a degree in electrical engineering. One day I might do that, but for now, I want to take simple steps while I focus mainly on enjoying my music :-)

I started this music hobby to shift gears and turn my brain off from work.

Lowoverdrive, your doing your homework. 

Because of all the unique variables you'll encounter with your room, your system, and your personal taste, suggestions can be both helpful and a crapshoot. It seems a few here have peaked your interest in digital signal processing (DSP). In my experience as an audio hack DSP is the most important and helpful aspect of dealing with extra low frequency within a listening environment. Despite the convenience of DSP learning the best placement locations within your room will dramatically reduce room nodes and provide that sense of room lock that, I think, many refer to as speed.  

There are two standout manufactures both using their second generations of onboard DSP. The JL Audio Fathom series with its Automatic Room Correction (ARO) uses five parameters of adjustment and the remote controlled Velodyne Digital Drive Plus series with its Auto and Manual EQ Optimization uses eight parameters of adjustment and six programable preset programs.

As wellemj pointed out they both use a listener positioned calibrated microphone, a method of providing low frequency sweep tones, and a very user friendly program that automatically adjusts their onboard parameters to flatten their output at a desired location/s. Unlike the the very capable Antimode these offer the ability to override and manually tweak the auto adjustment. The adjustability of either offer a very high level of mains integration and the ability to satisfy your personal sonic taste in extra low frequency.

Your homework assignment: go to both manufactures sites and study JL Audio ARO and Velodyne's EQ Optimization differences and as a means to compare the growing number of new DSP offerings setup procedures. Then consider purchasing one 10" version of either brand and slave the DSP'd signal to a used inexpensive second subwoofer. The investment in either of the latest JL Audio or Velodyne versions should bridge you through any need to upgrade the DSP sub for some time.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-jl-audio-fathom-110-pair-available-2018-01-17-home-thea...

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-amazing-compact-subs-2018-01-24-home-theater
Have you hooked up your PC-2000 Subs yet?Just curious as to what your thoughts are on how they mix in with your room?"Mini Water heaters" is what my buddy calls mine..I really Like them tho..Can you put your bookshelf speakers on top of the Subs?Just to give everything a whirl?The Port is coming out the back and not the top on those subs.
lowoverdrive OP103 posts01-23-2018 4:13pm
EDIT: The miniDSP products look too complex for me right now. I'm just learning about all this stuff. The Antimode 8033 is really simple to use.
lowoverdrive, There is absolutly no reason to fear DSP. In the case of the JL Audio and the Velodyne both can be used as any subwoofer without even using their DSP.  

The Velodyne offers four levels of prompted setup and a very clearly written step by step manual: 
1st is the Place & Play and only suggests doing a Crawl Test to optimize placement.

2nd is the Self-EQ requires connecting the microphone and pressing the automatic program button which is essentially what the Antimode requires except there are no extra cables to connect or to locate and power another component.

3rd is the Auto-EQ requires the microphone and the Sweep Tone CD be played during the program running. This very simple procedure that adjusts all the parameters in 15 minutes. After this step you may choose to investigate step four.

4th is the Manual-EQ which requires the completion of Auto-EQ and connection to a TV or a Windows Setup Program. This program will display your main speakers in room frequency response from 200Hz and the response of the subwoofer. Its also the program that allows you to customize the six remote control presets. This is one of those things were the first time you do it takes a few minutes and after that its a breeze.

The JL Audio ARO procedure requires some manual adjustments using a recording with "deep bass content" and having and assistant adjust Polarity and Phase as you listen before Applying Automatic Room Optimization (ARO) as you follow a procedure.

Both 10" JLAudio F series and Velodyne DD Plus may be the most capable subwoofers for their small size.      

@m-db Thanks for the very helpful info and the product links! I will do the homework :-)