B&W 801 vintage speakers in small space

I have vintage 801s (1979) powered by a similarly aged Stasis II, both still awesome with no service issues. All of my other components are history. I have downsized to smaller space, with an open great room listening space of no more than 1000 square feet and need to revamp my system. Seeking suggestions for whether I should trade for something else or complete my system building on these.  What other components should I consider? I am a novice here, just love the sound these old friends produced, even bi-amped with my old Beomaster and Beogram (both long gone). I need and welcome advice.
lawlass
Room acoustics matter a great deal. I encourage you to look into that early and contact GIK Acoustics for great advice and affordable products.

With those particular speakers, a tube amp may get you a little more treble detail and air. How about a CJ from the 1980s?

Best,

E
Oh, nearly forgot. The caps in those 801s are totally worth upgrading. :) That could be a fun project.

Best,

E
Welcome to Audiogon, Lawlass!

Given your statements about the condition of the amplifier and the speakers, and your satisfaction with them, it sounds like the first priority should be to purchase source components and a preamplifier. Decisions about upgrading the amp and/or speakers, or perhaps having them professionally refurbished with new capacitors (which may already not be performing as well as they did during the 1980s, especially in the case of the amplifier) could be deferred until a later time.

The gain, impedance, and other technical characteristics of the Stasis 2 are compatible with a wide variety of modern preamplifiers and other "front end" components. For specific recommendations it would be helpful to know the budgetary range you have in mind, and also whether your interests are in playing LPs, CDs, material that is streamed or downloaded via the Internet, other kinds of source material, or some combination thereof.

One final observation: I, and I believe most here, would not consider a 1000 square foot listening space to be "small." :-)

Best regards,
-- Al