What is really the purpose of streaming??

What is really the main purpose on streaming?? Is it just a big convenience to have music and artists at your fingertips? Is it that you get a better sound than cds? What if you have a cd player with an exceptional DAC built in like the Rega Saturn R . To me when cds came out i never looked back on my LPs. I thought cd playback was the best. Now i hear alot of streaming talk. Can someone clarify this to me ? 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
  streaming is no good is for DJ gigs. i always used to have LP setup and played proper compilation LP when wanted to take break back in the time when CD players were only extra luxury and expensive.
@lowrider57 The music on your library has nothing to do with a streaming service it's stored on your hard drive or NAS or whatever. If you stop the streaming service you would lose your favorites or playlists you put together on the service account. Your own music would be intact. I hope that makes sense.
@jond , you answered my question. I was only referring to the service account. I have a hard drive with wav and aiff files, although they are not networked.

So, streaming from a service is really leasing the music; you never get to own it. Is there any way to transfer a song (file) from the streamer to your hard drive?

I've let my Tidal Subscription laps when i'm away (sometimes for months, Navy) and when I re-sub all my stuff is still there as it was before. I have not listened to a CD since I started with Tidal/Roon why bother. most times I think of a CD and first look on Tidal if its there I don't even bother getting out the CD as its either the same sampling rate as red book or better and most times there is multiple versions of the same CD's but various remasters etc.

I personally feel disc spinners are dead tech.

When Vinyl is out selling CD's time to move on. I've been putting my CD's on a hard drive as well so they are also accessible with tidal/roon.

Lastly CD's are plastic and plastics are a huge bane on out planet and ecosystem (I've seen the floating islands of plastic in the oceans) so any time we can move away from making more its a good thing imo.

Oh and yes you can transfer songs from Tidal to your drive. I've never used this so maybe someone else can chime in here. I use tidal in my home system and have the app on my phone so I have it in portable mode this is where storing the files on your drive comes in so you can dl them using wifi and not use your data.