Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Mike why if you havnen't heard the Davinci MK II compared to the MSB would you make such a statement and at $90k vs a $35k Dac that kind of puts the Dac at a crazy different price range.

Almost no one has a MK II as Larry HO the owner of LH Labs has not had the time to over see all the units coming in for the upgrade, also they moved to a new factory, and retweeked the boards on the MK II is some of the reasons for the delays. 

There are only a handful of the current dual dacs out in the market.

We had the Dual Dac MK 1 our new MK II is finally going to be shipping. The Dual Dac especially the MK II is one of the most extraordinary pieces of digital we have ever heard, and that includes the DCS.

As per the Memory Player vs the Baetis vs the SGM that would be an intereting thing, we took our Baetis to a guy in Boston with Rockports and did a quick comparison to the MP vs the Baetis it wasn't conclusive but the Baetsis did seem to sound as good for a lot less.

As per a major rack upgrade, I am a big believer that an uber rack will take Matts system to the next level. 

We are looking at the Artensias, the Modulum and the Rogoz as all possible contenders, never loved the HRS and the SRA stuff is also crazy expensive. Still love the Stillpoints just don't know if any of these newer companies products are better or are more cost effective. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

i never claimed i’ve directly compared these products. who gets a chance to do that? have you done that? not sure i want to go back and forth with a dealer in any case. i’ve heard the MP and Dv but not necessarily the most recent versions.

i have heard enough of the considered state of digital art that i do have a feel for what is out there, and do think (as i said....just my 2 cents, YMMV and all that stuff) that the MSB Select II is on another level to my ears. and i’m not alone with that conclusion. what i do directly compare the Select II to is my vinyl and RTR tape, as well as other recent digital units in my system. and I spent over 2 years and multiple audio shows listening to the MSB Select II in those shows and then trying to find a less expensive alternative that could do what it did. I could not, so I pulled the trigger.

i’m just a guy with an opinion. and a system context all can see where it’s formed.

i don’t care what Matt ends up with (i’m not a dealer), but if he is getting into $100k list price range digital investments, then the MSB becomes an alternative he should consider. Matt has also asked me multiple times about an in home demo of the Select II, so it's not like i'm crashing the party here.

Mike,

How competitive did you find the Aqua Formula with other DAC's in its price range?  I currently have an older MSB Platinum III and am looking for a new DAC up to ~$15K and I have read good things about the Aqua.

I might also consider a used MSB DAC V as I do like the MSB "house sound".

any of your customers use this between the PS Audio Directstream DAC and the PS Memory Player transport? Good results?

Most that have PSAudio DS are using HDMI I2S from my Off-Ramp 5.  They can also use my Interchange Ethernet renderer.  Same outputs.

If you wanted to try the Synchro-Mesh using my coax cable, it would likely outperform even the I2S, but this depends on the S/PDIF path inside the DAC.  The signal will have lower jitter, but the path may make it a lot worse.   30-day money-back if you want to try it.

I may do a Synchro-Mesh in the future with I2S on HDMI, but other things are more important now.

I can tell you without hesitation that the Interchange with HDMI I2S to your DAC will be hands-down the best solution, best SQ.  It blows-away any USB, even my own.   It's identical to the Off-Ramp on the webpage, but has Ethernet input instead of USB.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio