Would love some feedback / Denon DL-S1 / phono match / cart recomendations

Would love some feedback / Denon DL-S1 / phono match / cart recomendations

- Vinyl newbie and need some help

- Friend has a brand new  Denon DL-S1 for $600 - good deal?

- I have a Mark Levinson No.326s preamp and just bought the dual mono MM/MC Phono module boards. They are the identical boards from the No,32 preamp and read that was a very nice sounding phono preamp.

- No.326s only has a couple settings 42db or 60 db and 47k ohm or 200 ohm load

- I picked up a used Bob's Device 1131 thinking it would help as my No.326s has limited setting options and read the 1131 might not work well with this cart. That this cart is tough to get the most out of but can be great.

- Should I get another cart? Was it a mistake getting the 1131 SUT. I read the No.326s sounded nice with this SUT so went for it but don't know enough to really know better either way but trying to learn.

- The No.326s phono boards has these little gold terminal screws with easy tighten by hand little knobs on the heads of the screws to add either capacitor or resistor to make the phono very adjustable but would have no idea how to figure out how to use that but thought to mention

- just wondering if this is a bad cart for me to try with my phono and SUT set up and any feedback about anything related to a cart would be super appreciated if anyone reads this. Thanks

more info if helpful below but not need to answer my question just thought to add it :)

______________________________________________________________________________________

I just finished up a full system re-fit with some tweaking here and there still to do but I am extremely happy with the sound I’m getting today from my new to me system. I sold my entire old system that was tubes and high efficiency speakers and got new to me: speakers, amp, preamp, speaker cables and upgraded digital transport and got a new turntable. Kept my DAC never changing that. Love my DAC. 

This system is the best I’ve personally ever had. I’m pretty psyched - so psyched I just added a turntable. 

A modern Version of the VPI Prime Aries with HRX Feet, 10" 3D Arm and Base, Prime Signature Platter, Ring and Motor. 

I am looking for a cart and my friend has a new Denon DL-S1 for $600 he also has a  used but good shape Clearaudio Accurate mc cart for a few hundred but i never heard of this one and a  van den Hul blackheart grass hopper which I know nothing of.

I thought because the Denon is new never used that was the best option but any of you know anything about the other let me know please.

Would love some feedback / ideas / thought recommendations and help. I’m a digital guy and want to give vinyl and honest to goodness try.

As stated above I just purchased the dual mono Phono board modules for my
Mark Levinson No.326s linestage so it’s now a full function Preamp and added a Bobs Device 1131 SUT and both were attained a very reasonable cost which was great!

Just not sure if these carts will go with my phono and SUT.

Rest of my System:
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5160

- Magico S5 Loudspeakers
- Pass Labs X350.5 Amplifier
- Mark Levinson No.326s Preamp/phonostage
- Bricasti M1 Special Edition DAC
- PS Audio P10 Power Plant
- Kubala-Sosna Emotion SC’s
- Nordost/Cardas IC’s
- Assorted PC's Verastarr/Cardas

- Digital PC based front end that I have been tweaking and evolving:
- Sonore microRendu 1.4
- Full Suite of UpTone Audio Gear
(2) x LPS-1 Ultra Capacitor PS
JS-2 Linear Power Supply
(2) Regens - ISO/Amber
- (8) Canare / Oyide DC cables
- (2) Breeze Audio 12v LPS
- Tellurium Q Black Diamond Reference USB cable
- Curious Regen Link USB Cable.

This Digital Front End beat out: Lumin, Antipodes, Naim and Auralic servers. It needs everything to work so well but man does it work great. My hope is that a turntable can complete and wish some luck I end up liking it better. That’s why I’m asking for help. I want to put my best vinyl foot forward 

** Back Ground info**

** Room is **
14 x 24 w/Cathedral Ceilings - 16 Foot a peak

** Music likes **
Assorted Music but no metal or loud hard rock anymore really - not much Large Scale classical either but everything else. I listen just loud enough to sound its best but not a loud listener. I enjoy normal levels.

** Likes / Priorities **
Transparency - Delicacy - Linear - High resolution - microscope but not sterile not etched or lifeless -some natural warmth and life to the music is key  but love that see through transparency and love precise soundstage - remove as many layers without being clinical - tight bass - hate flab - but don’t need worlds greatest slam but love speed and accurate bass while being musical.

** Perspective **
I’m only a couple months into this new system and I was struggling to get the right Preamp and tried a half dozen or so searching for the right balance and the one that could bring my new system together like only the perfect matching preamp can do. Each system is different so really it must be heard to know it’s what you want. I believe in the Preamp and knew If I could find the right match it would change everything. Well that was the hope.

To make a long story longer the Mark Levinson No.326s preamp did this and more. I was hedging my expectations based on the disappointments of the others I tried and failed but the No. 326s nailed it and honestly it an incredible Preamp and then some. I was so happy I decided to upgrade and add the built in phonostage option and SUT and Turntable here we are trying to chose a cart.

Really appreciate any help you can provide! I know this is kind of long but wanted you guys to know where I’m coming from! If you would like more info please let me know - all comments and feedback are most welcome and deeply appreciated :)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Awe come on man (rauliruegas) that is part of the fun getting the best gear I can for the money I have saved in my audio account. I can only afford what i can afford and I never claimed I am some genius that always makes perfect decisions but I try to get the best equipment I can for the money I have saved up and this includes looking for bargains.

I mean what is the alternative to overpay for gear? How does that help me?  

I can not buy gear with money I don't have so getting the best gear I can for the money I have is sort or a natural way to proceed? 

I mean its audio and its fun. I come on here and ask questions to help me make better informed decisions but that's all really. There are no worries at all about any of it. I don't want to make mistakes but if I do then it willl be because I tried doing what I thought was best and it didn't work out. Oh well I will learn from it. I am not sure I have made a mistake, many people tell me the SUT was a good buy and will work well with the Denon so i will wait to hear it before I know it actually was a mistake. 

So here was the deal. I had $5,000 saved from the sale of some nice but no being used cables and a nice but extra amp and wanted to get into vinyl but for $5000.00. There are a million ways to do this but looking for what I think is the best bang for buck is how I went about it. How else should I do it?

Should I go on Audio Adviser and buy a brand new Music Hall or Rega (very fine tables by the way) and buy a new Clearadio cart? I thought of that and read and looked around and made my decisions. 

I bought a $7,000 - 4 month old table that still has the plastic wrap all around the plinth for $3,000.00.

I bought brand new $2,000 dual mono phono boards for my Mark Levinson No.326s preamp for $800

I bought a $1500 Bob's Device 1131 SUT for $720

Now a NIB NOS Denon SL-S1 cart for $600   

This is how I spent $5,120.00. I did this by trying to get the best gear I can for the money. So if I didn't try to get bargin then what would $5000 buy me? I mean if I had $20k then maybe I would not be so focused on bang for buck but I am not rich and this is money I had so I tried to be smart and put the best analogue system together for $5,000.00

Maybe I did good and maybe I didn't but ether way I am not that worried about it. I do what i think is best and hope it works. I am pretty chill with audio. Not because I have money to burn but because I mostly buy used. I can sell anything I buy today tomorrow for the same or more other than carts or tubes so why worry? Its all good.

I enjoy buying, listening to it, selling it, reading about it, writing about it, learning about it and sharing what I learn but there are no worries. 

If you have a hobby and it gives you worries than i would argue its not a good hobby then. Hobbies are for spare time, to enjoy and have fun with.I don't do it for a living or anything other than simple recreation. 

I am new to vinyl but I'm a long suffering digital guy but none of it is that big of a deal. 

If I like vinyl I am sure I will start to collect a bunch of carts but was asking to get a little more info not because I am worried. Why would anyone make that assumption? Trust me no worries just trying to learn more about some stuff from someone that knows more than I do. No more or no less.

On my snow day just trying to get some feedback on some items but light feedback as this is for fun and leisure :)
The cool thing is if the SUT doesn't work out to sound good I paid $720 for it so it should sell in a day or 2 for that. Love buying high quality used because I get to try it and if not what I want no or real small financial penalty. This helps when you have a tight budget (my $5,000) 
Dear @fsmithjack : """  I enjoy buying, listening to it, selling it, reading about it, writing about it, learning about it and sharing what I learn... """

that's all about, good but who is " worried/sorry / for that is that as roberjerman you are willing to kil/try the SUT. No problem but do it after 100 hours or more on that Denon not before it.

Why? because you need to know if that up-dated 326s is working in good shape where the phono boards are the main " subject " in that preamp.

If at the end you like more the additional SUT distortions than the direct 326s then that's up to you that's the one that must live with that music/sound levels.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
That makes sense and is a good idea.

I'm glad because before this post I didn't really know anything about the Denon S1 or really that my preamp was able to drive it on its own.

I am glad to know the Denon is a nice cart and that it might sound nice with my pre straight up.

Then I can sell the SUT get a better phono cable and base for under my table. I have a Solid Tech Hybrid Rack but the shelves are 19" wide and my table is 22" wide so thinking of getting a 3 inch thick maple butches block 18x24 and put it in the top and have it overhang a couple inches on the side. Need to find a good source for this.  
I run a Denon DL-S1 now. If you are using just the phone amp in the Levinson, it needs to be able to have 67 db. If not, you need a phono amp that can get 6 db or a SUT.