How to pick a COMPATIBLE phono cartridge

As follow-up to my recent post titled "Da Benz", I'm trying to better educate myself on how to pick a phono cartridge. There are many to choose from but I don't know which "type(s)" (i.e., output, etc.) will work well with my setup. Not considering price or characteristics at this point, but simply compatibility . Once I know that I can research options to make a selection. Looking through some past forums I see this can get complicated, so I'll provide some info on my setup:

Conrad Johnson EF-1 Phono Stage
    Gain: 40, 46, 52 db
    Phono Overload: 70 mV (40 db gain setting)
    Hum and Noise: 88 db below 10mV input

Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS Pre Amp
    Gain: 25 db
    Maximum input: 15 vrms
    Output impedance: under 700 ohms
    Hum and noise: 96 db below 1.0 mV

Conrad Johnson Premier 12 mono block Amps
    140 watts per channel
    Input Sensitivity: 0.90 volts to full power
    Input Impedance: 100k ohms

SME IV Arm
    Cartridge weight range: 5 - 16 grams
    Weight: 700 grams

And my leading cartridge candidate is the Benz Micro Wood (available in low, medium, and high versions), specs as follows:
    Output voltage: 0.4 (Low) 0.8 (Medium) 2.5 (High)
    Internal ohms: 12 (Low) 24 (Medium) 90 (High)
    Loading Range: >100 (Low) >1000 (Medium) 47k (High) 
    Weight: 9 grams
    Compliance: 15 (Low) 14 (Medium) 14 (High)
    Tracking 1.6 - 1.9 grams

The high output has been suggested. 

However, what cartridge specs should I be looking at for compatibility sake with my equipment and why? I have no idea!!!!   

Thank you to anyone who's willing to take the time to read and respond to a posting like this! :-)

Randy

rbschauman
As i said on your other thread...

jperry941 posts12-29-2017 5:57amBased on the information below I would select the medium output Benz

The C-J EF1 offers three different gain settings, 40, 46, and 52 dB, selected by switches inside the unit.

Benz Wood S models at $1,600 use the MR or Micro Ridge stylus and are available in Low .4mV (Wood SL), Medium .9mV (Wood SM) and High Output 2.5mV (Wood SH)

rbschauman-

Perhaps a real expert will chime in, to give you real insight. Without getting into techie talk, all the high performance MC’s are low output-less than.5mv or so.

Maybe your local store was just referring to only the phono stage, not considering your line stage gain adding to the equation?

Your gear is ready for it. Plenty of AT’s/Denons value priced, along with the usual suspects-Benz,Dyna,Lyra etc.

Don’t forget the moving Iron(SoundSmith) line. They aren’t necessarily low output, and a different beast-if you aren’t already familiar with them.

Edit-I see noise factor is mentioned using a lower output cart. Makes sense.

Tablejockey 1-1-2017
Maybe your local store was just referring to only the phono stage, not considering your line stage gain adding to the equation?
Probably so, but please note no. 4 in my previous response.

Regards,
-- Al

Al,

Thank you for the response and taking this into a deeper dive. 

Interesting and educational to me is how you relate hiss/or hum to the specs. That's what I'm looking for at the moment; concrete means to evaluate specs and to stay away from subjectivity. First things first...finding compatible cartridges from which to consider by having the basis to do so. After knowing what works, the fun will begin in seeking out the one that has the sound qualities I'm looking for!

Thank you yogiboy for providing a link to the matrix to check the arm/cartridge mass compatibility as well. Certainly want to be in the green there as well!

Thanks all,
Randy   
jperry,

Thank you for that previous posting where you mentioned medium output. It's that (and a bit more) that got this thread going. 

Why? When I contacted a local dealer to get the medium output Benz priced I was advised to go to the high output. That then got me to thinking, how does one objectively evaluate/calculate what's compatible? What should I be looking for in specs when I browse around? 

So, just wanting to educate myself on how to use cartridge and equipment specs to determine what will/will not work (well anyway) with my setup.

Thank you!
Randy