No preamp 'Balance' control?

Are preamps made without a Balance control? If so, can you live without control of balance (happily)? Depending on the recording, I make slight balance adjustments to lock everything in balance. Is this some sort of purist approach (if so, why not use a seperate volume control for each channel), or what's up with no balance control?
In advance, thanks!
louisl
Late comment.  Many of us have a slight hearing loss in one ear.  Mine is about 2db.  Just can not imagine listening to my tube gear without the sound centered.  An off center image takes away from the experience big time.
Good point sssperf.
I, too, have a bit of hearing loss as well as an asymmetric listening position in my office, so a balance or gain control is a necessity.
B
Never used balance on earlier preamps.... don't miss not having it on my current pre
I can move an inch or two along my listening spot couch but don't. I could though. I also don't miss balance controls and haven't had one in my rig for years, but I do now have a "loudness" control in the form of a Schiit "Loki"…a cool "uncool" thing I highly recommend.
It's funny to see this posting, as just last week I played with the balance control on my preamp and with the acoustics of my room, found that upping the right channel 2 db made the imaging and soundstage noticeably improved.