DACs and bass response?

I'm auditioning dacs in my system. One (COS) was way to analytical, overall, but had very tight bass. Another (Aqua La Voce) is what some would describe as "musical"  and sounds  terrific in all aspects except bass. My cdp alone does better in that regard. I have monitors and no subs. Can I expect that dacs that are hyper-detailed will also offer tighter bass as a rule?
stuartk
Thank you for your feedback and sharing the link. I guess that’s one way to promote external reclocker by taking a subpar DAC/Streamer. I do not know about anyone else but IMO, SONOS connect box is a piece of crap. It’s also one of the most antiquated streamer/DAC in their lineup.

The final jitter will be exactly the same, no matter what the source is. you can literally compete with a $20K transport using a $300 transport and a $1400 Synchro-Mesh and Dynamo power supply.  The input jitter to the Synchro-Mesh is totally unimportant. 

The Sonos is very popular and many folks like the interface well enough.  With the Synchro-Mesh reclocking, the Sonos actually sounds as good as any of my $3K digital interfaces, including USB and Ethernet.

Maybe you can post some measurements with Bluesound Node 2 or Aurender N100 and Synchro-Mesh reclocker.  Also, what degree of improvement justifies the cost of external reclocker and digital cables?

I would be happy to if I had one of these on hand.  So far, everything I have compared with the Synchro-Mesh has much higher jitter.

Having said that, I do recognize the importance of a quality digital source and DAC that employs best designs attributes to minimize or eliminate jitter within digital domain.

I would be open to try an external reclocker between my two sources Aurender N10 / Bluesound Vault 2 and ARC DAC9 in near future. At this time, I am very content and happy with fabulous sound output of my digital setup.

When you are ready, I have 30-day money-back on most of my products, less shipping. BTW, I also now offer a truly world-class S/PDIF BNC/RCA cable for $499. My whole career in audio has been devoted to achieving the lowest jitter.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Steve,

“The final jitter will be exactly the same, no matter what the source is” - Agreed.

“You can literally compete with a $20K transport using a $300 transport and a $1400 Synchro-Mesh and Dynamo power supply”
- That’s a pretty bold statement, what have you tried and compared in that range to arrive at this conclusion.

“Input jitter to the Synchro-Mesh is totally unimportant” - Agreed.

“The Sonos is very popular and many folks like the interface well enough. With the Synchro-Mesh reclocking, the Sonos actually sounds as good as any of my $3K digital interfaces, including USB and Ethernet”
- Wyrd 4 Sound offers an somewhat similar internal upgrade for lot less. Once you add the cost of Connect, Mesh w/Dynamo PS, extra digital cable, you are already at $2250. It would be interesting to compare this setup with let’s say Aurender N100.

I wonder if anyone else from our esteemed community can chimed in with their experience with Mesh / Dynamo PS.

@stuartk

You asked about my setup.

Here is a link https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/6257

I think the DAC3 sounds like one of the cleanest and clearest windows to the recording that I have heard so far. Apparently it compares well to PS Audio (see recent Stereophile article). I have heard it against ARC DAC 8 and a Gustard Pro with reclockers/bridge (Singxer SU-1) and it doesnt need or benefit from special cables or reclocking although those other devices did. I would not call it thin. Transparent is the best word. It has an extremely low noise floor so details are highly audible but it remains smooth like vinyl. First device I have heard without the slightest hint of digital glare. I think the latest Weiss, Cranesong Solars and Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ will be similar and equally enjoyable. These latest DACs are astonshingly good and not expensive. Technology Progress is wonderful. If you prefer something euphonic then none of the DACs I have mentioned above should be on your short list.

Per Steve’s recommendation, once you settle on a DAC I recommend you try a bridge/reclocker and different cables/inputs yourself. I found no benefit in the Singxer SU-1 and no difference between various digital inputs but YMMV and certainly many DACs do need a reclocker or a bridge to sound their best.
“You can literally compete with a $20K transport using a $300 transport and a $1400 Synchro-Mesh and Dynamo power supply”
- That’s a pretty bold statement, what have you tried and compared in that range to arrive at this conclusion?

I have heard plenty of megabux transports at tradeshows for 15 years.  I don't like to name names.

- Wyrd 4 Sound offers an somewhat similar internal upgrade for lot less. Once you add the cost of Connect, Mesh w/Dynamo PS, extra digital cable, you are already at $2250.

The Synchro-Mesh plus Dynamo LPS plus BNC reference cable is $1897.  Less than the cost of most high-end S/PDIF cables alone.

Doing mods inside a transport will not get you there.   I used to do mods on transports and DACs myself, for 10 years.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@shadorne: RE: euphonic sound. I guess different people would define that term differently. My SS Wells Majestic integrated has no need of "fattening up". I listened to the Metrum Adagio today and it seems a poor match with the Wells-- to much weight/body, but the bass was quite good. I had no idea it would be this challenging to find a dac I like. The Aqua La Voce did everything right, except for the weak bass. Otherwise, I'd be done. The COS has made me very wary of dacs that serve up detail to such a degree that the sense of the "forest" is lost amid the hyper-emphasis of the "trees". Seems to me, a worthwhile musical performance is one in which the whole equals more than the sum of the parts. I don't want to be presented with a field of disembodied parts floating in space, so I tend to view detail as a double-edged sword.