DACs and bass response?

I'm auditioning dacs in my system. One (COS) was way to analytical, overall, but had very tight bass. Another (Aqua La Voce) is what some would describe as "musical"  and sounds  terrific in all aspects except bass. My cdp alone does better in that regard. I have monitors and no subs. Can I expect that dacs that are hyper-detailed will also offer tighter bass as a rule?
stuartk
@stuartk

You asked about my setup.

Here is a link https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/6257

I think the DAC3 sounds like one of the cleanest and clearest windows to the recording that I have heard so far. Apparently it compares well to PS Audio (see recent Stereophile article). I have heard it against ARC DAC 8 and a Gustard Pro with reclockers/bridge (Singxer SU-1) and it doesnt need or benefit from special cables or reclocking although those other devices did. I would not call it thin. Transparent is the best word. It has an extremely low noise floor so details are highly audible but it remains smooth like vinyl. First device I have heard without the slightest hint of digital glare. I think the latest Weiss, Cranesong Solars and Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ will be similar and equally enjoyable. These latest DACs are astonshingly good and not expensive. Technology Progress is wonderful. If you prefer something euphonic then none of the DACs I have mentioned above should be on your short list.

Per Steve’s recommendation, once you settle on a DAC I recommend you try a bridge/reclocker and different cables/inputs yourself. I found no benefit in the Singxer SU-1 and no difference between various digital inputs but YMMV and certainly many DACs do need a reclocker or a bridge to sound their best.
“You can literally compete with a $20K transport using a $300 transport and a $1400 Synchro-Mesh and Dynamo power supply”
- That’s a pretty bold statement, what have you tried and compared in that range to arrive at this conclusion?

I have heard plenty of megabux transports at tradeshows for 15 years.  I don't like to name names.

- Wyrd 4 Sound offers an somewhat similar internal upgrade for lot less. Once you add the cost of Connect, Mesh w/Dynamo PS, extra digital cable, you are already at $2250.

The Synchro-Mesh plus Dynamo LPS plus BNC reference cable is $1897.  Less than the cost of most high-end S/PDIF cables alone.

Doing mods inside a transport will not get you there.   I used to do mods on transports and DACs myself, for 10 years.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@shadorne: RE: euphonic sound. I guess different people would define that term differently. My SS Wells Majestic integrated has no need of "fattening up". I listened to the Metrum Adagio today and it seems a poor match with the Wells-- to much weight/body, but the bass was quite good. I had no idea it would be this challenging to find a dac I like. The Aqua La Voce did everything right, except for the weak bass. Otherwise, I'd be done. The COS has made me very wary of dacs that serve up detail to such a degree that the sense of the "forest" is lost amid the hyper-emphasis of the "trees". Seems to me, a worthwhile musical performance is one in which the whole equals more than the sum of the parts. I don't want to be presented with a field of disembodied parts floating in space, so I tend to view detail as a double-edged sword. 
Stuartk,
Reading various post by listeners who’ve heard the Benchmark Dacs some have described them as having a "thin" or somewhat clinical sound character. Subjective to be sure and some listeners love its sonic character.

If at all possible listen to it yourself . It’s impossible to predict accurately what someone else may like based on another’s taste. You may find this DAC to be excellent or you could find it somewhat sterile, amusical  and unengaging. I hope that you are able to audition the Benchmark in your system.
Best of luck,
Charles
@stuartk  

Euphonic would be a tube like sound - richer in even harmonics than is on the recording and can sound wonderful. Your choice as to what you prefer. There is no wrong choice.