Why does unplugging/replugging TT leads from tube phono pre-amp reset dead channel?

I have a BAT VK P-10SE with Superpak.  Tubed phono preamp.  When one of the channels drops out (it actually is out when the system powers up), I used to go nuts trying to figure out which tube needed replacing.  I have learned, after much frustration, that simply unplugging the lead from the Turntable - and plugging it back in - solves the problem.  Sometimes it's the left channel.  Sometimes the right.  And if I leave the system on with no music playing for a while, on occasion a channel will drop out.  I have asked at several stereo shops...no one know why this works.  Or what the real underlying cause of the problem is.  When it works...it sounds great.  No indication of a tube issue.  And the cartridge - Shelter 901 - sounds great, too.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks.

Joe
128x128jmfawdofile
As others have said, clearly the movement (wiggling) caused when you attach or detach RCA plugs to the sockets is causing something to touch and hence reconnect.
Some questions, that might be relevant if the problem turns out to not be a connection intermittency as the others have suggested:

1)Assuming the turntable is connected via RCAs, are the XLR input shorting plugs that were originally supplied with the unit installed?

2)What do you have the resistive loading set to? The reason I ask is that when you disconnect one of the turntable cables you are changing the impedance that is presented to the input stage for that channel from a low value (essentially the cartridge’s impedance) to a higher value (whatever the input loading is set to).  And perhaps that change is allowing the input stage to recover from some abnormal condition.

3)When the dropouts occur, do you hear a relay clicking?

4)When you said "it actually is out when the system powers up" are you referring to before or after the approximately 45 seconds following turn-on during which the phono stage is designed to mute its output?

Regards,
-- Al

Layniesdad83, thanks, but both the description and the manual of the VK P-10SE, as well as various rear panel photos that can be found online, indicate that it provides RCA as well as XLR inputs.  And the manual states the following in bold-face type:
When connecting your cartridge to the VK-P10SE RCA inputs, it is necessary to install the supplied shorting plugs into the unused XLR inputs.
Regards,
-- Al

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Linn LP12. Only one set of RCA leads. Can’t remove them.

Al- I’ve had the unit for years. This is a new issue...I think...perhaps since the upgrade to the Superpak. BAT can’t replicate the issue.

1- I have the shorting plugs.
2- not sure on the loading...it was set when the cartridge was put in years ago.
3- no sounds...no clicks....It just gets quiet. I can listen for hours before that happens.
4- " When it powers up, it will not be working." That is after the initial mute has concluded it’s cycle. I wait. I hear the click that it’s on. I get music on one channel and I hear nothing in the other channel. I just pull the dead lead, put it back. I’m good to go.

Think it’s a grounding issue? It switches from one side to the other randomly. Does that info help? Thanks everyone.