Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hey. Haven’t auditioned the TotalDAC yet. Still planning on it. I have a few other auditions lined up first. Then I’ll try to make that happen. 
I’ve been following this thread since it’s inception and have posted sporadically. Like Matt I have had many DAC’s in my system although haven’t participated at his level. Following his advice and listening preferences has led me to in the last six weeks purchase used both the LH Davinci 2 as well as a Aurender  N10. All is I can say is WOW!!!  The combination has elevated the digital in my system to heights I didn’t know were possible. I also have a relatively high level analog system and felt it was always smoother had more body and dynamics and just had better quality of timbre and realism. The Davinci and N10 combo have achieved this level of SQ. 

I have to put a plug in here for the the Bricasti M1 SE and most recently the PS Audio DS with the new Red Cloud firmware which get closer to the Davinci in SQ than they ought to considering the price difference. Also the Music Vault M7 with AES connection is the equal of the N10 on PCM in my system and to my ears. But as Matt has pointed out many times on this journey he is looking for the BEST. 

We all have to thank Matt that we can live vicariously through his ears and wallet (lol) to heed his advice and then decide on purchases new or even used here on Agon for the gear we decide to purchase. 

This has been an incredible journey and through this threads guidance have reached the pinnacle of performance in my room to my ears with my chosen system. 

Thank You Matt

Jeff

Hello Richfield_Hunter,

This is Dave from Audio Doctor the dealer that sold Matt the Davinci 2.

Believe it or not you may still not have gotten everything out of your Davinci 2.

We just did a demo of the Wireworld Platinum Ethernet Cable and wow did it make a difference going into a server so if you are not using a state of the art ethernet cable that will give you more depth and a wider soundstage. 

The Baetis server we are using is I think a different level than the N10, also we would need to know about your power cables and conditioning.

We use the Enklein David power cables and they are amazing.

Other tips is vibration isolation we have our Davinci on a Stillpoints platform and all of these tips plus a state of the art USB again so far the best we have tested the Enklein Trek a pure silver hand made USB cable and you might be surprised to see the Davinci pull ahead of even a fantastic vinyl rig.

As you keep on working with the Davinci it just keeps on revealing more and more information and boy does it sound like the best vinyl rigs. 

Congratuations.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

Jeff, good to see you post again, lol.  I'm glad you got the DaVinci and N10.  I'll see you guys at Audio Connection on Saturday when Richard Vandersteen visits.  Will be fun.  
Peter, I had hoped to see you and others on Saturday but one of the audio clubs I belong to, The Audiophile Society, of NYC, will be having a meeting on Saturday during the same hours. 
In the past this club does not tend to hold a meeting in December but they called for one just several days ago.  
I want to support both the member who is hosting the meeting and the guest speaker who I personally know. 
We should try to talk on the phone soon and catch up. Much to talk about. 
I enjoyed our last such conversation. 

Cheers, Al. 

Al Mirabella 
Ambassador Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio 
Sound Test USA