Cartridges: Complete Scam?

I’m very new to analog, and researching my options on forums I keep coming across the same sentiment: that past the ultra low-end cartridges, there is very little gains in actual sound quality and that all you’re getting are different styles and colorations to the sound.

So, for example, if I swapped out my $200 cartridge that came with my table for a Soundsmith, Dynavector, Oracle, etc, I may notice a small improvement in detail and dynamics, but I’m mostly just going to get a different flavor. Multiple people told me they perffered thier old vintage cartridges over modern laser-cut boron-necked diamonds.

It’s possible that these people are just desperately defending thier old junk and/or have never heard high end audio. But if what they’re saying is true, than the cartridge industry is a giant SCAM. If I blow 2.5k minimum on an Air Tight I better get a significant improvement over a $200 bundler — and if just all amounts to a different coloration, than that is a straight-up scam ripoff.

So guys — are these forums just BS-ing me here? Is it really a giant scam?
madavid0
I think the OP is asking a valid question.

Different cartridges have different sonic profiles (as do all audio components). Depending on your program material, room acoustics, and listening habits, different systems will yield different sounds. The trick, and in my experience, the fun of the hobby is designing systems that delight your senses and allow you to have more meaningful listening experiences.

You may enjoy having several systems. If I’m just potting around the house, I listen to a Tivoli Model 1. If the family is making noise, I slip on some headphones (currently driven by Schiit electronics). Sometimes I enjoy my Harbeth P3r speakers driven by a nice set of Odyssey components. I still enjoy my old Altec model 19 horns driven by the Dynaco S70 I built from a kit when I was a kid. Horses for courses, as they say.

If you are serious about learning how to enjoy this hobby, start with a modest (affordable to you but not too expensive, yet) system, try different things out, and go from there. The Mofi turntable and Studio Tracker is a great start. There are dozens of relatively inexpensive ($100 - $500) cartridges you can try. You’ll probably end up liking certain cartridges better for certain types of music or listening situations. You may end up with something you like better than the others for most situations, and that will inform you as you experiment with different systems. As you gain experience and develop your listening skills, you can be more confident in your purchasing decisions, and, hopefully have more fun and satisfaction listening to your music.

I like my MoFi MasterTracker. It sounds great on my brand new Technics S1200 GR. I liked it better than the UltraTracker on my somewhat resolving system (Harbeths, Odyssey). I have an old Shure V-15 III on a Thorens fitted with a Grace tonearm that is perfect with the Dynaco and the Altecs. Sometimes I will fit an ancient Grado F3+ on the Technics and guess what... it sounds wonderful, especially with my old ’60s and ’70s rock records. I had an Ortophon M5e on an entry level Rega that tracked like a bloodhound and sounded great on more beat up records (that didn’t sound good using the MasterTracker). Years ago I had a Denon 103 on an old Elac/Mircord that was miraculous (and dirt cheap).

Yes, you can spend ridiculous amounts of money on cartridges. I would caution, however, that system synergy becomes more important as you move up the price ladder. Putting the Mastertracker on the Rega RP1 would be a waste of money, just as senseless as putting an AirTight on your MoFi table. I’m sure it would sound great, but you will not be extracting its potential on that table. As a famous rock band once claimed, it’s a question of balance.
I don't understand waht you want to ask?

There is wristwatches with quartz movements for 100$ that show time much more exact than any Patek Philippe for 100k$. My friend have painted almost the same picture as Picasso, but no one want to buy it for 100$, Picassos painting was sold for 10 millions $ and they are almost the same quality.

And so we can continue with examples in all spheres of our lives.

Of corse 2,5k$ cartridges are better than 200$, if you know why you need it. The same is with loudspeakers, amplifiers, turntables etc. 

Holly #x$& Madavid0,

I can't believe some of the replies you're getting for a pertinent question. Some of these Files have got theirs heads right up there. Stevecham, " I choose to save my input for a more enlightened and deserving poster".

I ask you Madavid0 .... how does this guy breath?

I've used various cartridges, on various tables, using various arms & cables since the mid-70's.

I also have a life; house, cars, skis, taxes, electricity, water, add a few more & what's left is the audio fund.

I've owned various Audio Technica's, a Nagaoka, a Grace, a Grado Sonata, spun a Benz Glider, and listened to many a Low-MC's in the $3500 dollar range.
Out of my own personal stuff my fave was the Grace. It cost me $300 dollars in 1980 .... about $945 in today's money - - - + arm board + set-up + tax .... say $1200 bucks out the door.

Right now I'm setting money aside for a Dynavector-DV20X2-H, which will put me out about $1200 bucks out the door. So dollar wise things are about the same.

What about the Grado? Well it's like several guys have posted, " it has to be set up correctly & there's got to be a synergy with your gear ".

I like the Grado, it was priced right, (new arm-board, set-up & taxes) $800 CDN out the door. It's warm, lush, quick, lovely sound stage, neutral, but it's the wrong set-up.

With my Pre-amp the 0.5 output voltage is too weak, I should have chosen the 5.0 Sonata, which is what the Grace was.

Another stain on me was not doing enough research concerning a Rega RB-300 arm, matched to a Grado Sonata MI cartridge. Add an Oracle TT & we have the infamous Grado hum. (BTW) Grado refused to assist.

To answer your question, are high-end cartridge purchases a scam? Well that depends. You're spinning records here, you're not making Ben Hurr, so what is the sound of music worth to you?

For me, Hi-Fi is one of my great joys in life, my table cost me $1800 CDN in 1980, the arm $350 & the cartridge another $300. Since then I've bought one tone-arm (Discovery phono cable Incl) and the Grado $800, and now another grand for the DV Dynavector. Not including the Pre-amps I've purchased, that's well over $4 grand to spin records for 37 years. Some say that's nuts, some say that's small potatoes.

I think you should be able to get a good starter kit (used) to spin your records, with a new cartridge for $2500.

Will esoteric low-MC cartridges costing $3500 & up sound leaps & bounds better than a properly set-up $1000 dollar unit? Well .... if you have an outstanding recording to start with, a room with proper proportions, a room with properly placed acoustic treatments, a well matched Pre-amp and aptly matched phono cable, I'm sure a difference will be auditable.

Scam?
If you work within the limitations of your resources .... I don't think so.
Enjoy your obsessions.
Hi MadavidO

I returned back to vinyl about 9 years ago. Although I had continued to collect some 78s over the years, this was the first time since about 1992 since I'd had a real set up. Since my return I've bought a hand full cartridges as well as had a chance to hear some different examples in shops including owning the Music Maker III. As beautiful and detailed as it was it did not have the slam and weight I was looking for, so I sold it. Plus I needed cash at the time and a nice gentleman now happily owns it. I know for a fact that there are plenty of people on this forum that have owned more examples than my self. I also understand that in general moving coils can slightly  improve as the price climbs but here is my take.

OK for starts I am now running a Grado gold with a paratrace stylus on it that I potted with wax. Tracking, detail and realism are all top notch to me. The other two I've been bouncing between are ( Are you ready?) $60 Shure cartridges, the sc35c and the m35x. Both of these cartridges today are marketed as spin and mix DJ carts but have a professional hifi and broadcast history. Now I am using the n35x and a n44-gx stylus for lower tracking purposes. I'm also looking into a paratrace for these as well, simply because they sound very clear and balanced with an actual bass response that most of the more expensive cartridges I've owned lacked.

I have mentioned before here on this forum that I manufacture guitar pickups and grew up in the guitar building, repair and retail business.That does not necessarily make me an expert in high end home audio, nor do I mean to criticize the purchasing or quality of uber priced cartridges. The thing is with the exception of exotic stylus, quality magnets and coil wire is not that expensive. Of course there is the labor cost, but no guitar pickup manufacturer or a company like Shure who's been tooled up for years would even consider charging in the thousands for their products. Again if people want and can afford cartridges in that price range more power to them.

Just my take.
respectfully
JP:)