Cartridges: Complete Scam?

I’m very new to analog, and researching my options on forums I keep coming across the same sentiment: that past the ultra low-end cartridges, there is very little gains in actual sound quality and that all you’re getting are different styles and colorations to the sound.

So, for example, if I swapped out my $200 cartridge that came with my table for a Soundsmith, Dynavector, Oracle, etc, I may notice a small improvement in detail and dynamics, but I’m mostly just going to get a different flavor. Multiple people told me they perffered thier old vintage cartridges over modern laser-cut boron-necked diamonds.

It’s possible that these people are just desperately defending thier old junk and/or have never heard high end audio. But if what they’re saying is true, than the cartridge industry is a giant SCAM. If I blow 2.5k minimum on an Air Tight I better get a significant improvement over a $200 bundler — and if just all amounts to a different coloration, than that is a straight-up scam ripoff.

So guys — are these forums just BS-ing me here? Is it really a giant scam?
madavid0
@chakster and @lewm,

Thank you for your replies! I should have written that there are huge differences between new cheap and expensive LOMC cartridges. 

I did not intend to compare what seems to be apples and oranges to me (vintage carts and new carts) and should have made that point clearer in my post.

I agree with Chakster that a vintage MM (if properly matched to the tonearm) can provide results that are as satisfying as a new setup costing many times as much, however there's a great deal of knowledge and a somehow steep learning curve when it comes to the used market.

I also recently came accross a vintage AT Signet MK-111E that was an absolute steal at a little over 300 bucks, considering that it most likely smokes any new LOMC costing 10 times as much, but I don't think that it's fair to compare new MSRP with vintage prices, at least not for the purposes of determining whether a 2/3k LOMC is a scam compared to a much cheaper new LOMC cartridge.

Best,

Luiz
OP, probably best that you use Streaming, iPhone dock, or cheaper disc front end to playback music.  Why, because a TT setup sounds to expensive for you, at this time, and perhaps even to complicated.  Good TT setup is not simple to do and, if wrong, easy for a TT setup to sound ordinary and even bad.  It's always a choice and there is quite a lot of choice available.

Disc is simple, can even sound very, very good, and is only one component.  Many disc players have a volume control so all you need is a quality amplifier, speakers, cables, and you are set.  Too easy and no complaints, maybe and hopefully...
I think the OP is asking a valid question.

Different cartridges have different sonic profiles (as do all audio components). Depending on your program material, room acoustics, and listening habits, different systems will yield different sounds. The trick, and in my experience, the fun of the hobby is designing systems that delight your senses and allow you to have more meaningful listening experiences.

You may enjoy having several systems. If I’m just potting around the house, I listen to a Tivoli Model 1. If the family is making noise, I slip on some headphones (currently driven by Schiit electronics). Sometimes I enjoy my Harbeth P3r speakers driven by a nice set of Odyssey components. I still enjoy my old Altec model 19 horns driven by the Dynaco S70 I built from a kit when I was a kid. Horses for courses, as they say.

If you are serious about learning how to enjoy this hobby, start with a modest (affordable to you but not too expensive, yet) system, try different things out, and go from there. The Mofi turntable and Studio Tracker is a great start. There are dozens of relatively inexpensive ($100 - $500) cartridges you can try. You’ll probably end up liking certain cartridges better for certain types of music or listening situations. You may end up with something you like better than the others for most situations, and that will inform you as you experiment with different systems. As you gain experience and develop your listening skills, you can be more confident in your purchasing decisions, and, hopefully have more fun and satisfaction listening to your music.

I like my MoFi MasterTracker. It sounds great on my brand new Technics S1200 GR. I liked it better than the UltraTracker on my somewhat resolving system (Harbeths, Odyssey). I have an old Shure V-15 III on a Thorens fitted with a Grace tonearm that is perfect with the Dynaco and the Altecs. Sometimes I will fit an ancient Grado F3+ on the Technics and guess what... it sounds wonderful, especially with my old ’60s and ’70s rock records. I had an Ortophon M5e on an entry level Rega that tracked like a bloodhound and sounded great on more beat up records (that didn’t sound good using the MasterTracker). Years ago I had a Denon 103 on an old Elac/Mircord that was miraculous (and dirt cheap).

Yes, you can spend ridiculous amounts of money on cartridges. I would caution, however, that system synergy becomes more important as you move up the price ladder. Putting the Mastertracker on the Rega RP1 would be a waste of money, just as senseless as putting an AirTight on your MoFi table. I’m sure it would sound great, but you will not be extracting its potential on that table. As a famous rock band once claimed, it’s a question of balance.
I don't understand waht you want to ask?

There is wristwatches with quartz movements for 100$ that show time much more exact than any Patek Philippe for 100k$. My friend have painted almost the same picture as Picasso, but no one want to buy it for 100$, Picassos painting was sold for 10 millions $ and they are almost the same quality.

And so we can continue with examples in all spheres of our lives.

Of corse 2,5k$ cartridges are better than 200$, if you know why you need it. The same is with loudspeakers, amplifiers, turntables etc.