Not much discussion around MBL

Must not be alot of ownership by frequent posters.  They are pricey - I have  heard several models many times and have always been impressed - would love to own a pair.  Not sure I could commit.
pops
Post removed 
Post removed 
Pops

What do you like about the sound of the MBL's?

Jim
Sounds Real Audio
Maybe I should pick up the line.
Jim I like the utter openness and transparent picture the mbl 's produce.  The best example I can remember hearing was at the capital audio fest a couple of years ago.  Led Zepplin II was blasting away and for the first time hearing that album I got the real sense of a 3 piece band performing on stage.  

Mbl electronics and UHA reel to reel was driving them.  I have only heard mbl speakers with mbl electronics.

Another example was at United Home Audio's store.  The small ones, I believe 121's playing "wish you were here" by PF and the presentation was eerie it was so real.   It is tattooed on my brain to this day!  That system was also mbl electronics and a mid level clearaudio table.

it was those types of examples that took me from stereo and music lover to audiophilia some 30 years ago.  MBL is on my bucket list.  
Jim,

Although the MBLs are mainly known for their spectacularly realistic 3D imaging and soundstaging, that isn't the first thing that attracted me to them.  It was actually the tone and timbral realism (to my ears).

They sound open and realistic, and just seem to be able to re-create the different timbral qualities - from the solidity, and metallic quality of a struck chime or bell, or drum cymbal, to the brassiness of a horn, reediness of a sax, plastic/gut string of classical guitars, the golden sparkle of a regular acoustic guitar, etc.   Sounds are just more varied - and closer to the real thing - through the MBLs, in my experience.  And their resolution is second to none.  There is a relaxed, completely effortless level of resolution - the type that makes sounds actually more organic than the type that says "wow, listen to that tweeter!"  that makes regular speakers sound like they are "trying."  

Add that to the utter lack of box sound and the most realistic dimensional imaging around, and they are just more realistic sounding than just about any speaker I've encountered.  They make other speakers sound like "tweeters and cones in a box" by comparison, and they have a solidity to the sound that is more like a dynamic speaker rather than the thinner ghostly quality of most panel speakers.  They are the whole package.

Whenever I listen to the MBLs and go back to my box speakers, it takes a while to adjust back to tweeters 'n cones in a box.

That said, of course nothing is perfect and I have various other speakers for a reason.  Speakers sound different and I like those differences.

The MBLs, if not in the proper room and on the right electronics can get a bit "icey" in the top end.  But when controlled, that goes away leaving the rainbow of timbral colors.