THE LITTLE BLACK BOX, 399.00 ABSOLUTLY NUTS

I need a little black XLR junction box for a famous turntable......Two XLR jacks and a 4 pin jack 399.00 please....What is going on here, you can buy a whole amplifier for that ??   I offered a dealer  200.00 for one and he laughed at me......Are  we the buyers going crazy paying that ????
autospec
Signal Cable makes custom cables and so does Morrow Audio I have worked with both companies and they are a great value. Also, Many tone arms have fixed cables that cant be easily changed (unless you rewire the whole arm)
The fact that VPI lets you buy any cable you want is nice. I will say I dont like all these cables and connections your going to end up with, the more breaks in the phono cable chain the more chance for sound degradation and noise. This is not good at all for low output MC's. I would use one cable (even if its RCA and not XLR) from the TT to your pre amp for optimal sound. 

Matt M
Roger Modjeski at Music Reference will make you such a box for a fraction of $399. Remember The Mod Squad? When they were closing their retail store (Music By The Sea) they had a clearance sale (I bought Steve’s ARC SP-6b). While there, I asked Joyce if they could make me a Mode switch. She said they would have to do some R & D, that it might be expensive. I realized she had absolutely no idea what a Mode switch is, and pointed out the one on the front of the SP-6b faceplate. Incredibly, she showed not a hint of embarrassment or shame. There is a lot of pompousness in high end; a switch box (or Mode switch) ain’t brain surgery.
Matt: You are definitely correct about all these cables, But I need to use a balanced phono with my Atma Sphere MP-1 pre-amp and the only simple way is to use the VPI tone-arm and balanced junction box.....The biggest problem is the VPI part.......I have several VPI systems but I totally dislike the unipiviot tone arm.....So I wanted to use a Rega 700 tone arm I have and put the "lemo" connector on it and plug it into the VPI balanced junction box.......But I'm not going to pay 399.00 for the VPI box, so I need to make one or wait for a used one......And I have plenty of time.......Will
bdp24:  I have one of each Audio Research SP-6 and SP-6A and SP-6B and SP-6c......I  need the little box to put the parts in......But I can make one if I have to....I was thinking of buying the RCA box and changing the RCA's to XLR's......If we keep busy we won't get in trouble........Will
Will, I share your dislike of unipivots, having had two of them in my youth. But I haven’t spent any time with the Graham, which my old pal Brooks Berdan liked and sold a lot of. By the way, the very interesting Trans-Fi Terminator is an arm featuring radial tracking, an air bearing, and a dual unipivot design!---Eric.