THE LITTLE BLACK BOX, 399.00 ABSOLUTLY NUTS

I need a little black XLR junction box for a famous turntable......Two XLR jacks and a 4 pin jack 399.00 please....What is going on here, you can buy a whole amplifier for that ??   I offered a dealer  200.00 for one and he laughed at me......Are  we the buyers going crazy paying that ????
autospec

Showing 23 responses by autospec

It might be interesting to checks one transactions before you comment on ones buying ability .....Its stupid to spend that kind of money on something that has less than 50.00 worth of parts, I don't care who you are.......
Wholesale  those parts would cost you 50.00......Of course with VPI it would have to go through several dealer mark-ups....Its quite a joke ??
Matt: You are definitely correct about all these cables, But I need to use a balanced phono with my Atma Sphere MP-1 pre-amp and the only simple way is to use the VPI tone-arm and balanced junction box.....The biggest problem is the VPI part.......I have several VPI systems but I totally dislike the unipiviot tone arm.....So I wanted to use a Rega 700 tone arm I have and put the "lemo" connector on it and plug it into the VPI balanced junction box.......But I'm not going to pay 399.00 for the VPI box, so I need to make one or wait for a used one......And I have plenty of time.......Will
bdp24:  I have one of each Audio Research SP-6 and SP-6A and SP-6B and SP-6c......I  need the little box to put the parts in......But I can make one if I have to....I was thinking of buying the RCA box and changing the RCA's to XLR's......If we keep busy we won't get in trouble........Will
Matt     I've tried to do business with your company with no success , There was a time I could call Harry and get what I needed in as few as a couple days.....But VPI has decided that dealing direct with customers was no good.....The closest dealer is 400 miles from here so that doesn't work very well.....I have about six VPI turntable systems that I can't maintain because I can't get parts, so I'm trying to convert to a VPI , Rega system......That doesn't seem to be working either.....Dealers don't want to order and sell something unless they make 200 % mark-up, so its had to order a belt or something like that with any success , and if you get the wrong part you really have problems.....Communication, that's the solution ......Will
Testpilot   At this point and time I have several VPI tonearms that would be a plug and play, but I don't care for uni-pivot tonearms.......But I like the VPI drive system....So at some point I would use a Rega 700 tonearm wired with XLR connectors.....Will
hdm:   What good information for this conversion......I have the Cardas 5 pin connector for the tonearm base......And with this provided information I can install the socket and plug in the correct wiring......Thanks again   Will
Bruce:   To make this simple one could pay VPI the 399.00 for the balanced box that they already make and plug in the JMW VPI tonearm and you have it.....What I would do , is since I don't want to use the VPI tonearm, I would take a Rega 700 tonearm.....Remove the cable and change the cable connection to right channel +&- and the left channel +&- and make the ground separate hooked to each ground in the XLR's..........But I won't pay 399.00 for that little box, so I guess I'll have to make one............Problem solved.......MAYBE !!
Testpilot:   My pre-amp is a Atma Sphere MP-1 ........Ralph at Atma Sphere is doing some work on it, it is soon to be returned.......One of my friends has shamed  me into buying one of those "Black" boxes today.........But I really need two of them, so I will build one.....Will
Johnnyb53:   The point to be made is that if you keep your parts business in house, then you can cut the price almost in half......Audio dealers don't want to stock things so everything you need has to be ordered and shipped......And if its a complicated item , sometimes you get the wrong thing altogether....There was a time when you could call VPI and get a part shipped the next day or two, then the new management took over and most of them didn't even know what you were talking about, so you got the wrong price and then the wrong part.....So instead of training a PR person and parts person they just passed it on to the dealers....Another parts mark-up, another week waiting.......No service......The one thing that the competition can't take from you is service and public relations...............Harry had it !!

I have been building tube amps for fifty years....I built five this week......I love building and listening to tube equipment...........Thanks for asking     Will
Sir:  When the hobbyist or repair man needs a part to repair or modify a system....The first thing he needs is the parts not excuses....I ordered the 399.00 box nine days ago, I have emailed the VPI dealer no less than 8 times to get a tracking number, a guess, or maybe just a prayer.........At this point I have 7 e-mails from the seller trying to sell me something and no word what so ever about the 399.00 little box.......The VPI dealer probably doesn't even have the little 399.00 box.....I would bet I don't get that before Christmas.......Will
MW:  Do you see the time and good will lost in all of this......If the order could have been made through VPI , it would take one phone call, and three days later by USPS and the part would show up.....The dealer has sent me a ad everyday to sell something and not a word about the one part I need.......It doesn't make sense to me , but who am I but the customer that spends thousands of dollars a year in this hobby.......Will 
Well the latest on the Little Black Box.........The VPI dealer has sent me a e-mail that they are getting it ready to ship.....I paid for it a week ago......They also provided me with a tracking number, too bad its not a workable number.......Don't worry ........Its coming........MAYBE     Will
Atmasphere.....Thanks for your e-mail on this........I know that if Atma Sphere takes on a problem, they will handle it quick ,and with precision......Will
testpilot:   The point is when buy something on the internet you would expect the selling party to ship it........If they didn't take your money you would have the opinion to shop somewhere else.......Maybe if someone would e-mail you and say it won't ship for a week......Maybe we are out of stock so VPI will drop ship it.....Or just , we will ship it when we feel like it.........Theirs no excuse for that kind of treatment........I could write you a book about my dealing with VPI......And I only have six of there turntables, so what do I know ??   Will
Testpilot:  This all works if you can get a dealer to answer a e-mail, but that hasn't happened yet so .....If I was waiting for a answer  from the dealer, I would still be waiting.......So maybe you need to understand the real world and business practices .......
Testpilot:  You have probably never owned your own business, but dealing with a company that can't or won't get you the parts you need is absolutely murder.....Small business can't survive the down time.....and if suppliers took that line, there would be no small businesses.....Vpi doesn't care about me , Dedicated Audio doesn't care about me, but if someone brings attention to other customers maybe someone will change a little....And see to it that the little guy needs to sell something also, so he needs his parts......No I still don't have the 399.00 little box.........Will  
MW:    The only e-mail I received was that it was getting ready to be processed for shipment....But when you dialed in the tracking number it wasn't at the Fed-Ex place yet ??   And that was 8 days after I paid for it......And I don't have it yet ??   Will
Well  I called fed-ex this morning to go to there office in town to pick up this Little Black box, which was to be delivered today .......Fed-ex tells me the shipper has requested that the Little Black box be returned to the Vpi dealer shipper in AZ. So it seems somebody decided not to sell this Little Black box to me.......Of course they haven't returned my money, so I'm now without the box and the money.......Thanks you Matt and your dealer for helping out on the Undelivered part.....Now I will make my own box.......I would like my money back.......Will
BRF    The part was paid for with Pay-Pal on Nov.12-17.......Some things are not meant to be and this must be one of them.......I think its time to get rid of this VPI stuff and move on......Keep a eye on Audiogon for the sale....Will
Mat:    Thanks for your e-mail on this , but I'm pretty much done with this VPI thing......I'm not getting anywhere , and I'm wasting many hours.....So I think I need to get rid of this stuff......And listen to my Rega......Will