Dedicated Red Book CD player vs. "Universal" type players....

I surmise this discussion has been debated a fair amount but here goes....I'm searching for the "final" cd player. Red Book playback is important to me as I have an extensive cd collection and am not into computer based sound (yet). So, I don't mind grabbing and popping those silver disks into a player. What are my fellow Audiogoner's thoughts on a dedicated cd player vs. the universal (see Oppo) type of player? Does a one-box solution sacrifice some cd playback performance trying to be a jack of all trades? If so, can you hear that difference? Input and comments most appreciated!
128x128beernut
beernut
  Dedicated Red Book CD player vs. "Universal" type players....

For doing PCM, Redbook 16/44 or 24/96, and DXD it's best to use a cdp or dac that uses digital to analogue (D/A) converter that is Multibit, rather that one that uses Delta Sigma d/a conversion.

This is the reason why.
From MoJo Music:
" When a PCM file is played on a native DSD single-bit delta sigma converter, the single-bit DAC chip has to convert the PCM to DSD in real-time. This is one of the major reasons people claim DSD sounds better than PCM, when in fact, it is just that the chip in most modern delta sigma single-bit DACs do a poor job of decoding PCM"

Cheers George
Sparkler? Sure is a strange website...

Yes the site is a little different, but the products are first rate...
Sonically a unit like the Oppo 205 is a worthy cd player, and probably better than many similarly priced cd only players, given the by now small market for those.

+1

For doing PCM, Redbook 16/44 or 24/96, and DXD it's best to use a cdp or dac that uses digital to analogue (D/A) converter that is Multibit, rather that one that uses Delta Sigma d/a conversion.

+1
Thank you! I opted for a Marantz SA 8005 that I snagged for a good price. I have a sizable investment in cd's and a few SACD's so this is still my medium of choice. Computer audio just doesn't buzz me, yet anyway. I don't mind that tactile feel of dropping a disk into the tray, gets me off the couch :)
Congratulations on the new acquisition. Yes, I feel the same about the discs, compared to computer audio. Have fun, REDISCOVERING all your CD/SACDs.