Do I need a preamp/processor?

Hi everyone, 

Home theater is new to me so I need assistance. The question I have is do I need a HT preamp/processor to properly listen to movies (DVD, streaming etc)?  I currently have a 2 channel system using a Red Dragon S500 amplifier, Schiit SYS preamp, and Kef ls50 speakers.  I’m mainly streaming Tidal through a Sonos Connect which is connected to the preamp via rca.

I would like to add in the capability to listen to movies through the ls50s and Red Dragon. I’m currently doing it by running a toslink cable to an external DAC then rca to the preamplifier, then rca to the amp. The hook up works but it doesn’t sound that great. 

I was planning on upgrading my preamp anyway, and it was suggested that a HT preamp/processor might be a good alternative. It sounds very appealing since it would do double duty for me. However I’m still vacillating between the two choices since some nice 2 channel preamps pop up every so often.  

Please help!

autre
Thanks for the replies. Is the audio that comes out of my tv via toslink in mono or is it in stereo?
This might be far fetched but if a processor replaces the preamp and DAC in my current set-up, is it possible to add in wireless speakers and have the processor transmit the correct channel to each speaker via Sonos, while still using the wired ls50s as the front speakers?

The audio coming out of the TV via toslink is either going to be 2-channel stereo or multi-channel Dolby Digital (which can only be handled by an HT Processor).

I would not get wireless speakers at all because you will be sacrificing sound quality through the wireless analog-to-digital-to-analog process as well as the RF transfer medium.  If you did not want to buy another amp for center channel, you could get a "powered" KEF LS50W model.

I would connect the Sonos to the HT Processor using the digital coax output.  Then connect the analog output of the HT Processor to the left/right Dragon amps.  The HT Processor would handle all DAC and preamp duties, including toslink from the TV.

@autre

Since you’re already familiar with Sonos and mentioned wireless speakers, I suggest looking into Sonos Soundbar, Sub and a pair of PLAY 1’s. And you can leave your current 2 ch setup as is.

I am using the above 5.1 setup with my TV, and Oppo 203; absolutely love 2 ch sound and the 5.1 movie experience.

I also own a Connect, to my ears it sounds the best connected to a external DAC (via SPDIF cable) instead of RCA outs.

Autre > I was planning on upgrading my preamp anyway, and it was suggested that a HT preamp/processor might be a good alternative. It sounds very appealing since it would do double duty for me. However I’m still vacillating between the two choices since some nice 2 channel preamps pop up every so often.

Blindjim > Hi!! Looks like its time to choose, for the short or long term, huh?

Need, or want? let's see.

Nothing is cast into stone. Regardless the choice you make today on pre vs proc, you can alter this later.

The first thing you said is you want to listen to movies, DVDs, etc.

The simplest way is via an HT receiver. Yeah it doesn’t carry the audio freak credentials a dedicated processor does, BUT, its cheaper and enables many many things and one thing a dedicated proc does not… amplification.

I’ve owned both dedicated Procs on varying levels. HT receivers too again on varying levels. Having the factor of amplification is very nice.

Yes, but there’s that audio quality factor too! Not really.

I’ve had Anthem proc, Sony ES rec, Onkyo HT rec, Integra HT proc and the level of sound quality from one to another is marginal. At best! Use the right power cord and signal cables and any of them will sound great for film or music. No question.

Versatility is the key now for you, IMHO.

There’s more to the HT deal than merely multi ch audio. Or, now, 4K video.

The ‘dull’ sound from a DAC can be easily fixed. The CATV box hooked to your DAC is likely passing PCM only. Greater bandwidth is available via the HD audio streams. Not knowing the setup config you are using I can’t say more.

Adding a proc adds decoding for the HD and multi ch audio now available. DTS & DOLBY Master audio and bit stream info. Any recent HT rec or proc should offer these feature sets. I have a DAC connected to my integra Proc via RCA for digital file playback from a NAS PC or internet PCM streaming.

An Apple TV and CATV box connects to the integra too.

As you said, there are some nice preamps available on the ‘gon. There always will be as well.

Getting an Oppo BDP XXX would be a step in the right direction but there is a caveat if you forsee attempting to use it as a pre/pro. Oppo does not endorse or advise this activity. Truth! Call ‘em and ask. You’ll see. But it will afford you the versatility you seem to desire. Buying a pre-owned ver shouldn’t hurt too much if 4K video is no biggie. Depending on model. They’ll do all else. Your CATV box wil sound better and look better too thru one… if you have a comparable HD screen/TV and HDMI ins and outs.

The biggest impact after the mains is a sub. Period and paragraph.

I’ve spent over a grand on my last center ch speaker. Nearly as much on others. I’ve also ‘gohsted’ center ch for darn near ever. No center speaker? Nope. Ho hum.

No sub? Now, that’s a very big deal!! Every multi ch audio format has a dedicated low end audio stream. Presently, you ain’t getting it fully.

Adding a sub to do flicks is like watching black and white films or watching hD color movies. Its that dramatic.

Again, my onkyo rec and integra Proc IMO can not be picked out in a blind A B test based purely on video or audio. Despite what threads around here say, the proc in the onkyos is or was just as good as was the Integras procs. Current models may be more widely separated however I’ll remain moot on that point looking at the investment for each.

Sony likewise versions are a bit more tipped up on their top ends IMO, but both are very good. My next dedicated proc will likely be another Onk or Integ.

High end Meridian if I get the right six numbers some Saturday night.

For a grand you ought to be able to pick up a nice upper end HT rec with very good power. A few hundred for a nice Oppo BDP. Somewhere in between those two for a pretty nice sub. So two grand or less gets your system significantly greater versatility, deeper audio and video immersion, and allows further growth without the need to rush out and buy more amps. Immediately.

7.1 or 7.2 rigs usually allow for bi amping the mains too. So there is that. All I know of allow for adding amps if desired.

New HT recs will have loads more connectivity too. Blue tooth. Air play. Internet and or LAN connectivity. Second and third room audio and video transmission. Even their tuner sections offer HD quality for AM and FM and there are usually several channels for the more popular statons to choose from. . Wow. Way more versatility and functionality.

Or go with the nice preamp and an Oppo disc player and essentially be right where you are now.. albeit the Oppo will aid in decoding the CATV info better, IMHO.

I enjoy having as much flexibility as is possible. Going forward it is a tremendous aid.

If you do this process the other way around, at least look for the HT pass thru in what ever preamp you decide on as HT appears a fairly stong inclination.

Best of all possible luck in your trek.