Do I need a preamp/processor?

Hi everyone, 

Home theater is new to me so I need assistance. The question I have is do I need a HT preamp/processor to properly listen to movies (DVD, streaming etc)?  I currently have a 2 channel system using a Red Dragon S500 amplifier, Schiit SYS preamp, and Kef ls50 speakers.  I’m mainly streaming Tidal through a Sonos Connect which is connected to the preamp via rca.

I would like to add in the capability to listen to movies through the ls50s and Red Dragon. I’m currently doing it by running a toslink cable to an external DAC then rca to the preamplifier, then rca to the amp. The hook up works but it doesn’t sound that great. 

I was planning on upgrading my preamp anyway, and it was suggested that a HT preamp/processor might be a good alternative. It sounds very appealing since it would do double duty for me. However I’m still vacillating between the two choices since some nice 2 channel preamps pop up every so often.  

Please help!

autre

Erik's suggesting of combining an Oppo 103/105/203/205 with a Parsound P7 is an excellent one.  There are also looking at a really nice HT Processor.  It all depends on your budget.  Can you give us an idea of what you're able or willing to spend here?

Also, when playing movies, one of the critical elements is a center channel.  The center channel combined with left/right would significantly increase the clarity and impact of vocal dialogue and sound from the movie.  In movies, the center channel is used 90% of the time, with left/right being supporting speakers.  It increases the ambience of the movie experience.

I would think about adding a third LS50 speaker for center channel purposes and combine it with a Red Dragon M500 single channel amp, in addition to the Oppo/Parasound or an HT Processor selection.

Thanks for the replies. Is the audio that comes out of my tv via toslink in mono or is it in stereo?
This might be far fetched but if a processor replaces the preamp and DAC in my current set-up, is it possible to add in wireless speakers and have the processor transmit the correct channel to each speaker via Sonos, while still using the wired ls50s as the front speakers?

The audio coming out of the TV via toslink is either going to be 2-channel stereo or multi-channel Dolby Digital (which can only be handled by an HT Processor).

I would not get wireless speakers at all because you will be sacrificing sound quality through the wireless analog-to-digital-to-analog process as well as the RF transfer medium.  If you did not want to buy another amp for center channel, you could get a "powered" KEF LS50W model.

I would connect the Sonos to the HT Processor using the digital coax output.  Then connect the analog output of the HT Processor to the left/right Dragon amps.  The HT Processor would handle all DAC and preamp duties, including toslink from the TV.

@autre

Since you’re already familiar with Sonos and mentioned wireless speakers, I suggest looking into Sonos Soundbar, Sub and a pair of PLAY 1’s. And you can leave your current 2 ch setup as is.

I am using the above 5.1 setup with my TV, and Oppo 203; absolutely love 2 ch sound and the 5.1 movie experience.

I also own a Connect, to my ears it sounds the best connected to a external DAC (via SPDIF cable) instead of RCA outs.