Power Cords

I currently have Wireworld Silver Electra power cords with upgraded Platinum plugs. I had two 1M Wireworld Platinum power cords, but rearranged my system and required longer cords. Yesterday I borrowed two Shunyata Sigma NR power cords. On the first note my wife softly said, "that sounds better". She said it was clearer. I listened for a couple hours, changing the power cords a couple of times. In my system and to my ears this is my conclusion:
The Sigma's are cleaner, definitely has more bass, a dead silent and completely black background. The Wireworld cords are more detailed, with a wider soundstage and better spacing/separation of instruments. All things considered I'll keep my Wireworld, but I'm curious to listen to other power cords.
After inserting the Sigma's I just don't understand how anyone that listened to different power cords could conclude that they can't hear a difference. There is a difference, but like any other component the individual has to decide if the change is worth it. $6K for two power cords is relatively expensive. Expensive, but oddly maybe a good value? In my system there was a definite improvement with better bass impact and articulation. Would spending $6K or just changing amplifiers yield similar results? As with most components there are trade-offs...is there a power cord out there that has the benefits of the Sigma's and Wireworld Silver Electra's? If so, at what cost?  
ricred1
Would you list your equipment, speakers and cables? Without knowing it the talk is meaningless.
What is not right, what do you wish to improve?
Often but not always, if you like the speaker cables power cords from the same manufacturer have a good chance to work well too.
New power cords, especially good ones, may require 300-500 hours of burn-in time, not just stand-by time - play time, unless they are 'cooked' in those 'cable cooking' machines. But even then I would play them for a hundred hours or so to be sure.
I will mention only brands that are almost universally considered top level: Purist Audio, Echole, Stage III, HB. Shunyata is popular.

Falconquest, 
What do you like about the Silnotes? Which model? I have their Poseidon/Morpheus ref II ICs and I love them. Very detailed without harshness and fatigue.
I have Lessloss DFPCs for a good while now and I still haven't found ones better in my system in the same price range. 
ricred1 > Out of all of my cables, my humble opinion is my power cords are the weak link.

>> I want to tweak my system

Blindjim > definitely. Fairly well understood. I feel PCs are where it all gets defined. Saying one should begin there is sort of arbitrary input as many outfits are likely far from being set, as you say your’s is now. Good.

The caveat which looms over the process going forward is that different PCs being injected into the rig will produce new changes in the audio presentation, so one should as well be prepared to at least consider. Changing other wires could be required to get the blend ‘just right’, or more audiophiliac correct, ‘optomized’..

As for a long weekend of trials, I’m not keen on that idea especially given two facts as has been said here by more than me, cords take time once input into the affair, and secondly, the costs. Not for nothing, but even with a little discount which should be in order on that size of a ticket, its too brief a period to make a decision given the amounts or for the wires to really bloom.

That’s not a knock on shunyata. Its my EXP with literally a dozen or more Pcs from various brands and their various models. My ‘left over’ sort of keeper PCs are from five different brands, and two or three models in a couple of them.

Consequently I’m not much of a ‘fan boy’ on anything. If it performs to my satisfaction or better said, as it should I buy it if possible. No regrets.

Its why I’ve not said much as to what this or that PC brings to the table. I found bringing back in formerly enjoyed PCs into a somewhat new rig were not quite the fit they once were in a previous system.

3 days is just truly not fair to you, or the dealer.

I definitely do not have a dog in this hunt. Whatever works for you is gonna be based on a proper trial, and your own budget and preffs. Period.

I’d forget about any subjective accounts from others who do have a dog on the trail when they’re speaking on other or former bgrands. I’ve sat next to other’s listening to the exact same system and recording and thereafter heard them say things about the presentation that were extordinary. A gulf of disparity lay between what they said was heard and what I experienced, at times. Although, there is or was usually one person who was hearing something thin or strident or as is most often reported, bright sounding.

There’s no accounting for ears, or telling them they’re quite wrong. Big mistake. lol

Results, not brands, or popularity floats my boat.

As you sure appear to be dedicated on doing the right thing here eyeing $6K just in wires, I’d suggest before you begin your sojourn into the PC wrestling ring you get:
1. note book or voice recorder.
2. IEC to NEMA (male to female) adapters $3 to $15 ea. Go cheap here.
3. IEC to NEMA (male to female) adapters get the cryo type here
4. male IEC to twin Female NEMA adapter
5. Either make or pick out your fav auditioning playlist. Hope you love it, ‘cause you’re gonna memorize the thing eventually. Probably get sick of hearing it too. But its due diligence, or so I understand.

Figure out a number system you like, being incredibly anal I went with 1 – 10 including decimal points.

Outline the categories that appeal to you to assign points to.
The biggest one on my lists is always ‘naturalness’. Organic. Alive. Wet.

The idea is to be consistent account each cable the same way in which ever areas.

I’ve listed tons of reviews on these pages in the past and the fun part stops faster than one would think. its indeed a job. The results however are well worth the doing..

These IEC adapters prolong the system life by cooking the pc outside of it on a home appliance instead. Freezer and refrigerators are best IMO. Fans are good too. If ya gotta use low power stuff like modems, pcs, clock radios, get a multi NEMA plug and put all three into that one demo PC.

Plug everything in and forget about it or them for 10 days or so, more if brand new, a week if used. Then insert into system.

Put the extracted {PC onto the adapter and appliance you just used for the latest contestant.

After several days of system play, run that ‘playlist’ and begin taking notes and be critical. Objectively critical. Not harsh though.
Save the notes.

When it is all said and done, you’ll pick a lot more winners this way than any other way I’ve yet to find.

I would begin with that PLC you like. Although I looked for your arrangement, I could not find what all was in it so I’m unsure of what your PLC feeds.

An undeniable truth is that a power cord, no matter where it is set, shows its ‘voice’ throughout the affair. One PC on a PLC that feed the entire system can be the beginning point and possibly its ending point too as its immediate authority will be widespread.

If I want only one area to improve if possible, and I like what is going on there another method which in fact does work is to stick two PCs together using one of those fancy ‘cryo’ adapters you already bought.

Yeah. Its not in the ‘audiophilia nervosa ‘break glass in case of emergency pamphlet but by golly it works reall well. Exact same conversation as connecting a PC to a PLC. Scant little diffs. This also helps out with at times a loved but too short PC in some areas.

Look at either end of your audio setup initially. Sources and amps seem to be where the money should go or where one ought to launch the pilgrimage.

Preamps? Not so much, but they do like a decent PC on them, and I’m talking $5 to $11K line stage preamps I’ve had or have. Maybe less expensive ones need better PCs. Dunno.

My Integra and Onkyo HT procs and receiver seem to like upscale PCs more so, responding much better with them than did the upscale preamps. RWV.

If a maker or seller can’t or won’t allow for a qualified demo period, there’s the Cable Co.. I’ve used it to great effect over the years. It used to be that they would keep your rental fees on tap. You could later cash them in on whatever they sold. Dunno if this is still a feature set or not.

The very best part of all this?

Once you’re done with PCs, you can do the same thing with isolation gear, room treatments, and racks or stands. If necessary.

It would be outstanding if you continued posting your trials and tribulations as you roll down PC boulevard.

All the best….

Ricred1 If you have a Raidho dealer nearby you should check out Ansuz. There is a new V2 that has just been released for the Aluminum/Ceramic/Diamond line. The Aluminum V2 is pretty much in your price range. BTW there is no aluminum in the cables. They’re copper. Also the V2’s are a huge step up from the originals.

Per my local dealer ’list’ price for 2M
Aluminum V2 $3150
Ceramic V2 $5850
Diamond V2 $15900
D-TC $20000

I am not a dealer just a happy owner

Bo you should check out Ansuz
Blindjim,
Thanks so much very taking the time to provide such a detailed to response. My plans are to get a home audition of Audioquest, Audience, and the Shunyata Alpha NR.
Although only for one day, inserting the Shunyata Sigma NR erased any doubt on the impact of changing power cords. The improvement in bass articulation was outstanding. Inserting the Sigma's gave me a better understanding of what is meant by a totally black background. All that being said, in my brief audition the Sigma's are on the dark side of neutral. Its not about what's better, but what power cord I prefer in the context of my system, within my budget. I will keep the list price at $3K and below.
Thanks to everyone for having a constructive conversation!!!