Physics of downward firing woofers

Ok ... this question will show my complete lack of knowledge about physics ... but here goes anyway:

Every now and then I come across a speaker with a downward firing woofer. I wonder: why don't the sound waves bounce off the floor back towards the speaker, rattling the bejeezez out of it and / or messing up the woofer itself?

~Jim
128x128jimspov
inna - 

Usually done for omni or semi-omni directional designs, like Linkwitz LX Mini

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Introduction.htm

Floor bounce is the wrong word for bass, but interference is a real thing. Anytime you see a woofer far from the midrange and near the floor you are seeing designers think this is important.   Perhaps this is more related to having an even boundary re-inforcement? 

Best,

E

Downfiring is probably not a very good idea if you have carpeted floor. Unless I am terribly wrong.
Very timely topic for me!

Theories aside, I am interested in actual experiences of others comparing down and front firing subs in practice.

My experiences with front firing bass drivers (conventional box speakers) versus downward firing (as is the case in OHM Walsh speakers) is that floor interactions are perhaps the biggest issue to address first in either case to get bass under control. Its usually a yuge problem with suspended plywood floors found in upper levels of most homes. Not a problem with solid concrete foundations found at floor level in most homes.

I only have experience with front firing subs to-date and same problem there.

Have been debating getting a new sub and not sure about whether to get front versus down firing. There are very good quality subs of both persuasions out there it seems.
"....actual experiences...." *G* OK...

Agreeing with Erik @ 11:25, my modest bottom-firing sub is up against the wall.  If I opt to listen to my front-firing speakers, they pass up to a pair of 12" +/- 15" above the concrete floor. They in turn pass up to a 6' active with a 6" passive physically above the 12".  Both are aligned +/- 30" from the back wall to accommodate the dipole ribbon above them that takes it to top....

...when I'm not listening to omnis, anyway. *S*  Not your typical approach, but I like the results.  All the bass and lower mids one could want, unless you're into 'burping' in the car.  Not the sort to hang out here @ AG... ;)
A successful design with downward-firing woofers were the Snell Type A's. Excellent bass extension and impact! No need for a subwoofer! I own the Type AIII's and can attest to this - some of the best dynamic bass available! And the against-the-wall placement frees up a lot of space in the listening area!