currently own a vpi scout, looking to upgrade

I have had a scout for about 5 years and I am looking to upgrade. I have heard the vpi classic and although it sounds decent, I am not sure it necessarily sounds better or better enough to my ears. How much do,I have to spend to see a,significant difference? I have not heard many tables because there are not many available locally. Any suggestions would,be appreciated.
tzh21y
My first turntable was a Rega P25 with Lyra Dorian cart. I sold the Rega bought an VPI Scout (original model). That was a major upgrade. The bass, dynamics, detail level, all improved greatly. However last few years I heard some really great turntables. So I knew there were better turntables out there. I already knew there were more expensive turntables. But know I also knew some were not only more expensive, but also better. So the seed was planted. But if I were to upgrade my turntable I would first need a better phono amp. However in the mean time I had worn out my Lyra Dorian and replaced it with a Dynavector Te Katora Rua.
After trying out a few phono pre amps I bought the RCM Sensor Prelude. Sonically it was tie between the RCM and the Reference DXP SE. There we not the same sounding. Both had weak and strong points. But in the end I bought the RCM since the dealer gave me a better deal.
So with VPI/Dynavector/RCM combination I spinned the vinyl for about a year, year and a half. The RCM was a great upgrade but I knew that it could be better. But how to achieve that without breaking bank. Answer, look for a great second hand deal.
Recently I saw a SAC Girati Grande in a shop, it was at the back of the shop, without a tone arm. After speaking with the shop owner he was willing to get the SAC up and running but the tone arm was a bit of a discussion. Since the SAC came with a SME armboard and the shop didn’t have any SME tone arms. I asked the shop to mount a Kuzma Stogi ref 313 VTA arm since he had a 2nd hand. I think Kuzma makes great arms. Someone I know advised me a Dynavector 507mkII arm. However I was not hear of it. I wanted the Kuzma.
A date was set for me to listen to the SAC/Kuzma combo. When I arrived at the shop I saw to my dismay thath the 507 was mounted. Nothing then and there that I could do about it. So I listened and I could not deny that the combination was great. It was better than I hoped for. This was about 3 weeks ago. Soon the SAC will be delivered. It needed some final tuning, new belts etc.
So I would advise you, visit your local dealers, see what they have, listen then decide. I would not by VPI upgrades. The SDS while it is great is overkill for a Scout and adding non VPI upgrades may or may not work well.
well, its been close to 4 years and I still have the humble scout.  I will say that I believe it is one of the best values in audio out there.  Listened to many tables and my final thoughts are if I am going to upgrade and have it make a measurable difference, I believe it has to be an aries or better in VPI lineup.  Thats not to say that the prime or classic are not good.  If you are just buying the first table, by all means they are great if you want to start with a great table but in my opinion for what its worth, I would rather buy more records and save for an aries, SME, basis, well, you get the idea.  I think you have to spend at least 5 grand to make it worth it.  I am not saying that because I have a scout but I have not heard anything that presents music in such a way for the money.  YMMV but the Aries is the table I heard that really takes you to the next level in the VPI lineup.  for me at least.
tzh21y-

your updated and current post is timely and meaningful. I have a 5 year old VPI Classic.

My battle with AN(audio nervosa) to replace it started about 3 years ago. What has helped to combat it is finding a cart within my means$  and optimizing all parameters to support the cart to perform its best. 

With that in mind, I do find the VPI Prime used, a possible worthy upgrade. The 3D arm and separate motor I believe, would address the subtle sonic weakness in my table. If you stay with VPI, I've seen many great used deals on Prime,Aries and HRX with the 3D arm.

In the meantime, I've saved thousands of dollars and have acquired many quality albums. When the urge kicks in, I just put an album on and crack open a beer.

own a scout 1 w/ classic platter and a AT ART9 MC cart, was thinking seriously of selling the vpi , because i just wasnt making that magical connection to the music i once did, moved to a  much larger room new larger spkrs , i finally sold my intergrated amps and bought a rogue audio perseus magnum preamp, rolled the tubes to nos holland amperex  bugel boys , bought a rogue audio stereo 100 amp , both pcs used , and the scout came alive again, , my point is i think the scout with a very good turntable combined with a very good cart so good that it might not be the real culprit, at least in my case it wasnt the weak link.I am in no way affiliated with rogue audio or any manufacturer period, but i cant contain it , rogue  perseus and stereo 100 is the schitznitz my friend, im feeding that into a pair of Tekton Lores, upgraded caps , Ive feel ive finally reached the tin can mountain top , glory attatched! Finally after 20 years of sucking my self financially dry i am listening to the music not the equipment, i deserved a break and am giving up the the hunt for better equipment to make me feel better.
My 2 cents! I put a eagle psu and a roadrunner  on my old scout 2 and it cost a pretty penny too, but i heard no improvements what so ever, i took the eagle off and used the roadrunner to see just what was going on in the 600 rpm motor, after trying all 3 grooves the top one was the slowest and closest to the 33.333 mark and pretty darn stable, i also learned if you pull the motor away or toward plinth it slows/speeds the platter rotation, My opinion the motor is aok and dont need those band aids, however if you just gotta see for yourself, recommend just buy the road runner and just adjust the motor position/pully groove to varify your eyes and wallet ads/sds/eagle just are not necessary, unless theres some voodoo magic in those cans i didnt hear goin on.