Long distance between preamp and power amp

Due to house moving and some constraints, I will have the power amplifier 6 meters away from the preamp.
The power amp only has RCA inputs, but the preamp has RCA and XLR outputs.
What's the best solution for this long distance? Simply go RCA to RCA? Or should I use the balanced outputs on the preamp side and then make use of an adapter (XLR to RCA) to connect on the power amp side?
Suggestions?
128x128migueca
yes, my better suggestion is to sell the amp and get one with _true_ balanced inputs

monoblocks should be even better

you can certainly get away with a long RCA run - I did it as a student with Advent speakers and Dynaco gear, but if you want to maximize the SQ do the above
Agree with randy11,

Always been a long IC , short SC fan. Recently found a pair of 30' balanced ICs of my preferred brand and at a reasonable price. (Rare find and Rare price). SQ took the maximum leap.

RCA could be worked with, but was always a bit compromised.

I begrudgingly worked with the RCAs ( equipment that I had and cost of ICs I wanted ) made it big dollar proposition to make a wholesale change. Thankful for A'gon. Pleased with system more than ever.
I couldn’t find an output impedance spec on the C712, or anything that would provide an indication of how its balanced outputs are generated. But given that it is a solid state design chances are its output impedance is relatively low. And given that all of the input connections it provides are unbalanced, chances are that one of the two signals in the pair of signals it provides to its balanced output, for each channel, is generated by putting the other signal through a simple op amp stage, ca. 1995. Which in turn suggests that the C712’s unbalanced outputs stand a good chance of providing better sonics than its balanced outputs.

Given those considerations, I would suggest simply using an RCA cable having relatively low capacitance, less than say 20 pf per foot, and providing good shielding. Blue Jeans LC-1 meets those requirements at a low price point.

I suspect that will work out fine. If not, though, a Jensen transformer can be considered, as I mentioned earlier.

Also, FWIW, personally I would much prefer to replace the preamp and/or add a Jensen transformer than replace your amplifier, which is a treasure based on all of the user comments I have seen about it.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

I run about 25' from a Zesto Leto, floating balanced preamp, to my Mcintosh MC60s. Output impedance 250 Ohms to Input impedance 500KOhms. Ran it through the wall in EMT conduit and don't have issues. Always wondered though, if I'm missing something in the frequency. No hum.
The Leto manufacturer says that floating balanced is his preferred topology. Curious to hear an opinion on that and the long run.
Dentdog, I don't see any issues with what you've described.  In fact the design of the Leto seems ideally suited to a situation involving a lengthy connection to an unbalanced input.

John Atkinson's measurements of the output impedances of the Leto were even lower than specified, and as I'd expect in the case of transformer coupled outputs did not have much variation as a function of frequency.  That will make the capacitance of the long interconnects a non-issue for any reasonably designed cable. 

Also, I don't know if you are using RCA cables or XLR cables + adapters to mate with the unbalanced inputs of your MC60s, but either way you are in effect running unbalanced interconnections since the load is unbalanced.  However given the transformer coupling and the provision of ground lift switches in the Leto for its unbalanced outputs you presumably are immunized from ground loop effects that can occur in some cases involving long unbalanced interconnections.

Also, actively driven balanced outputs on some equipment (as opposed to transformer coupled outputs) may have problems with XLR-to-RCA adapters, since most such adapters short the signal on XLR pin 3 to ground (XLR pin 1).  But again that won't be a problem with a transformer coupled output, and in some cases involving transformer coupled outputs it may actually be necessary for an adapter to connect those pins together.

Enjoy!  Regards,
-- Al