Question for cable/wire naysayers.....

For those who state that cables don't make a difference...... are you saying that all cables sound the same?  If not, what are you saying?   I've experimented with many different brands and materials and I can't possibly believe that those naysayers hear no differences.   And if the science says that the cables should sound the same, a simple experiment (listening!!!) should prove otherwise.  Or, are these naysayers not listening for changes in resolution, soundstaging/imaging, coherence.....and so on between cables?  Please elaborate on what you are NOT hearing and feel free to drop names.  What cables have you compared that didn't sound different?   I've just gotta know.  I'm floored every time I see a post or response in which cables are called snake oil or something comparable.  Please enlighten me......Thanks.
lcherepkai
Paul, what are naysayers universally saying? 

Are they saying that *all* cables will work the *exactly* same? That's not generally how the argument goes, but more of one critical of exotic and boutique, high-priced cables justifying their premium price point.

Also, if I use cables which are $5 radio shack blister pack, and plug in $1300 plugs and prefer the $1300 plugs, should I immediately assume I HAVE to pay $1300 to receive that benefit?
Exactly, Atl.

I say, start cheap, and only buy other cables if they prove, in your system, to be better. A lesson from wine transfers nicely to audio: one doesn't taste the label. Nor does an audiophile hear it.
The chemical in corked wine is TCA and it is absolutely measurable by scientific methods. Some people like my wife are very sensitive to it. 
As to cables of course they sound different the question is does the material and technology substantiate some of the absurd prices being asked?

if the routinely found "hot deals" section of Audiogon is any indication the answer is no! No other type of equipment is so routinely and frequently discounted at such rates. 

Sure cablex sound different for very good reasons as already stated but the sale of them is pure snake oil!
If blind tests routinely dismiss the top and bottom performers, then those conclusions might apply to the general population, but not to us. Because we probably hear better than the general population.

This is a real problem when interpreting scientific results - unless a reviewer understands the statistics and the methodology, he might not understand the study.

And, bdp, you are absolutely right when you say that someone who identifies 10 out of 10 is unlikely to be doing it by random selection. In fact, it is highly significant - at the 0.001 level (it’s a binomial distribution with 1 way to be dead right, and 1023 ways to be right less often).
Ok,  here is the deal.   At a certain price range cables do sound different.  They are designed to be "different" but different does not translate into better or worse sound.  The trick is finding a set that sounds good to you.  Since every set of ears, every audio system, and every room is unique, there is a good chance that six audiophiles will have three opinions regarding your cable selection.  Find something you like and enjoy.

The snake oil comments, in general, start when prices climb to the absurd levels we see in this hobby.   Remember,  expensive may not be better to your ears, system, room, etc.