Tekton Double Impact & Comb Filtering

Like many of you, I have been pondering purchasing these speakers but am very curious about the unusual tweeter array. I asked the smartest speaker person that I know (he is a student of Sean Olive) about the design and below is what he had to say.   

"In theory it could work, but the driver spacing means that the crossover point would need to be very low.
He is using the SB acoustics tweeter which is 72mm in diameter, center to center on the outside opposing drivers is around 5.7 inches, which is about 2400Hz. This means that combing would stop between 1/4 to 1/2 of the wavelength (between 1200-600Hz) is where the outside tweeters should start playing nice with each other.
Since he is not using low enough crossover points he has created a comb filtering monster. Now while it's not the great point source that was promised, it's no worse than most line arrays and the combing will average itself out given enough listening distance.

The MTM spacing on the other hand is ridiculous. Hopefully he is cutting the top end off on one of those midrange drivers to avoid combing."

seanheis1
@213runnin

It does sound like the DI are amazing value. Cutting out the retailer must be a big part of it. A $6000 speaker sold direct from factory could be easily $3000 as no dealer cut.

I recall Energy Pro 22 punched well above their weight but that is three decades ago. It is nice to see this challenger but I wonder if factory direct is the way of the future? I keep seeing audiophile stores closing down...is the old bricks and mortar model broken?

If James_514 says they are better value than ATC SCM 40 then I believe it. I actually would not expect ATC with an everything in-house built approach can compete with cost effective boxes filled with off the shelf low cost drivers sold factory direct - at least not on price or value and may be the quality difference is just not enough for many to justify the extra expense. I bought my large cinema screen factory direct and it was indeed tremendous value over a Stewart screen so I am not at all averse to the direct model. Bring it on!
I too doubted the Tekton "hype". I purchased and put the DI on trial against my long loved B&W 804s in my home. The DIs were clearly superior at less than half the price. I now have the Ulfs on order from Eric. Some of us backup our first-hand testing and knowledge with investments in products that prove their worth. Some of us are just trollboys.
What I don't get is why Tekton is withholding the  frequency response graph of their speakers, so prospective customers can see how the speakers compare with their own, or with other brands.  
Zu Audio did the same thing as far as not releasing measurements. When reviewers started to release the measurements and they weren't favorable, folks who value objective measurements turned on Zu and began smearing their name.

If John Atkinson of Stereophile were to release poor measurements, then the Tekton's would be the high SPL equivalent of a Zu product. Some folks would feel duped while others would say that their ears are all that matters.    
Oh, wow, this is so true, I mean, B&W, Magico and Martin Logan all publish FR graphs !!! << face-palm >>

No, no they don’t. It is not common practice at all. What is with this continuing onslaught of FUD not to mention double standards being pushed for this brand? Sheesh.

Best,

E
John Atkinson did publish Tekton Measurements, this was the Enzo XL a few years back. I'd say we passed his tests and John had overall good things to say about the Enzo XL. And KEY to this dubious thread is no-comb-filtering reflected in John's measurements.  

Eric Alexander - audio designer