Puzzled...

Just say, you have noticed a difference in SPL (sound pressure levels) between different albums/tracks when the volume level of your preamp is at the same gain setting, sometimes very large SPL differences. This is consistent and repeatable.

Then, say you notice that many times, by and large, more often than not, etc., that you perceive that the sound quality of titles with a higher recording level (requiring a much lower gain setting on the preamp for a given SPL) tend to sound significantly less enjoyable to you than those that require higher volume level settings on the preamp for the exact same SPL.

Next, you realize that the poorer sounding titles require volume settings significantly below the preamp manufacturer’s specified "Unity Gain" setting level and the better sounding recordings require settings at or above that Unity Gain setting for the same SPL.

Why?

Remember, you set SPL levels for all titles the same and your observations are not always true for every title, just much of the time, yet consistent and repeatable for a given title.
128x128dlcockrum

that only tells that more complex equipment with adjustability wins on sound performance over the unadjustable units when playing imperfect recordings.

adjustability of gain, tone controls, filters, adjustability of feedback -- it's often not found in today's home audio units, because it's complex to implement and takes away a big chunk of profit.

I had such versatile preamp. Mcormack Micro Line Drive . 
passive, active with gain settings. I kept cover open in order to play some of the records to swap jumpers LOL. It was inconvenient, but the most transparent preamp I've ever had or heard in any mode: passive or active with any gain settings: Unity, 6dB and 12dB and passive. I rarely used passive, but mostly used unity.