Tonearm microphonics

When I have the volume at my normal level & tap the arm (not whilst playing vinyl) it is slightly amplified... Is it possible to significantly reduce/eliminate this?

Current set up - Roksan Xerxes 20plus, Origin Live Encounter tonearm (thin cork ring at the base) with Lyra Skala.

Apologies if this is a stupid question!
128x128infection

If I understand how viscous damping works, resistance increases with velocity of movement.  As an example, if you put your hand in water and move it very slowly, there is very little resistance to movement.  But, try to move it fast, and the resistance increases dramatically.  When a tone arm has to make large lateral movements (e.g., off center record) , it is forced to move at a much higher velocity than its normal movement, which is quite slow.  I don't know if this added resistance is enough to create excessive strain on the cantilever or the suspension, but, I would guess that fluid damping is not a help in these situations. 

But, some resistance to movement laterally might be a help when it comes to bass response.  Deep bass is often cut monophonically so that all of the movement is laterally.  If the movement is large enough, the whole arm will move instead of the arm being held steady (stead would mean all of the movement of the cantilever is translated into signal).  Thus, movement of the arm to follow the groove results in reduced bass response.  If damping helps to resist such movement, bass response would be more powerful and faithful to the signal on the record.  The Moerch DP9 anisotropic arm does this by increasing the effective mass of the arm in the lateral plane of movement; I bet damping would provide similar resistance as well.

Dear @larryi : You are rigth about that " resistance " that more than affect the cantilever could " affect " suspension but I think maybe not something to worry about and when this " trade-off ( that we don't know for sure it's a real trade-off. ) goes infavor of that better bass response then we have to go a head with. Remember that the foundation of music belongs to that frequency range.

In the other side the huge forces generated at stylus tip/grooves are of different kind and till we can measure we just can't know if that resistance is really " dangerous ". Could be that's compensated " some way ", maybe not but that kind of damping is welcomed because its virtues in favor of MUSIC.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Dear @atmasphere  and friends: Damping is always welcomed and especially against undamped tonearm designs.

Now, resonat frequency can't change with damping. The only way that that frequency can change is if we modify effective mass and/or cartridge compliance. Of course that if we have that silicon damping type that mantain cartridge compliance out of work then it's another matters but this is almost imposible to happen.

@larryi said that in the Vector ( unipivot design. ) / SME tonearms to much damping and sound becomes lifeless/dull.

Now, he posted an additional example about with the Symposium items but both examples in true can't tell us that are overdampening in here but the other way around and let me explain it:

I'm totally convinced that we can't overdamp any audio item ( of course that unipivots that use silicon at the pivot can be overdamped when that damping impede the bearing function/movements. ) under normal circumstances.
We are accustomed to those " beningn/good " resonances @timeltel ( btw, welcome back. ) spoke but exist no real " good/welcomed " resonances.
 Any vibrations/resonances in more or less way always degrade the audio signal information that was recorded in those LP grooves. 
We want that what the cartridge pick-up down there be only music information something impossible to achieve. So next down " step " is to mantain those " resonances " at minimum and this includes the " good " ones.

I don't want to tolerate any audio signal degradation for whatever reasons that degradation comes and that's why damping is always welcomed. The Rock example is very good one as is too the WT one.

Sometime ago in other thread a gentleman posted that he did not like it the after market AT hold-down LP ( pump. ) because it puts the sound with the same atributes larry told us: lifeless and dull. For he these were a bad thing when in reality is a good thing because is reducing resonances/vibrations/degradation/distortions.

Overall problem with all those 3 damping examples is that we are accustomed to very high " resonances "  that we like it because too many time living with but this fact does not means is rigth because is wrong.

That's why I always say that the important issue is not what we like it but how should be what we need to listen.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Thank you all for your continued input; it's very informative. 

It appears then that a happy medium is key...??
I'm glad this subject was broached.  I've been in contact, just this week, with two well known experts in the hi-fi field, concerning acoustical feedback in my TT, when playing low frequency LP's at a louder than normal level.  The bass begins to build on itself and in a few seconds, I have a low frequency feedback problem.  In reading this thread, I noticed it was mentioned, one should never get any sound, when tapping on the TT plinth.  I have a VPI Scoutmaster, with a JMW-9 signature tonearm.  The cart is a Dynavector DRT XV-1s.  With the tonearm at the end of the record, I can tap on the plinth with my finger and clearly hear the thumping noise through my speakers.  I have tried a couple of methods to dampen the tonearm (haven't tried the shell yet-there really isn't one) to no avail.  I'm thinking this has to be contributing to my problem.  I have also tried dampening the plinth by placing sealed bags of sand on top of it any trying the same test.  The tapping noise is still there and has not been diminished in any way.  I wanted to employ a subsonic filter that would eliminate all frequencies below 10-15 hz on my subwoofers, as when they're turned off, the problem goes away, but can't find one.  I'd rather not go the KAB way as I think I would be losing some of my good frequency response.  I realize most of my problem, must be coming from my tonearm, but was curious about the plinth comment.  Does anyone have words of wisdom for me about my tonearm and plinth?  BTW, I've tried rearranging my subs and have significant room treatment.  My room is not just an untreated shell.