Has Rel fallen out of favor with audiophiles?

I own a Rel Storm 3. which I've had for 10 yrs or so. My new hardwood floor has really opened things up, especially in the bass area. much more pronounced bass and excellent sound stage.  I was planning on upgrading my sub after completing the floor. My Rel Storm 3 is pushing at its max to keep up in a 5k+ cu ft  room. Ten yrs ago the Storm 3 was one of the best on the market. It integrates very wall into the 2 channel system. Now, there is SVS, Rhythmic, PSA  etc which have much better specs than the Rels for less $$$. But the question for me is whether they actually integrate with the main speakers as well as the Rel? I use mine  for music 95% of the time. Music doesn't need to plumb the 16hz range as much as HT does. And most of the reviews seem to come from HT sources, IE AVS forum and the various HT magazines. From what I can tell, then Rhythmic seems to cater to the audiophile more than HT. But how about a sealed  SVS ?. And will they both integrate as well as the Rel with the high level speakon input? 

So, for audipophiles, do you sacrifice the ultra low hz for the good integration of the Rel? Or do you go with then SVS, Rhythmic, etc with their lower octave output? IOW, do the integrate as well?
Thanks for your help

arte
128x128artemus_5

artemus, for clarification here's some additional info: Rythmik Audio and GR Research have a unique working relationship and marketing arrangement. Brian Ding and Danny Richie are both located in Texas, and pooled their talents to design some of their products.

Brian Ding of Rythmik is the designer (and Patent holder) of his Direct Servo-Feedback circuit, which is included in all versions of his plate amps. He also designed and builds all the Rythmik factory-finished sealed and ported subs, also designing and having built his aluminum-coned woofers (as well as the paper-coned woofers found in his budget subs).

Danny Richie of GR Research is a speaker designer, focusing on drivers and x-overs for open baffle loudspeakers, for the DIY speaker builder. He offers kits only, no finished loudspeakers in cabinets, though he does have a few guys making enclosures for GR Research customers, built to Danny's specs. Danny is responsible for the paper-coned 12" woofer offered in the Rythmik F12G (he prefers the sound of a paper cone, and feels his provides low-level resolution and musical timbre superior to the aluminum version), the non-G version having an aluminum woofer.

Brian and Danny both sell the Rythmik DIY sub kits, while Brian is the marketer for the finished subs. The sub flat pack enclosures offered by both DIY Sound Group and Parts Express are one and the same, PE buying them from DSG, marking them up a little, and reselling them. There is both a 3cu.ft version and a 4cu.ft. one, the larger intended for 18" woofers, but recommended for the Rythmik 15" woofer as well.

The DIY Sound Group flat pack enclosure is an okay design, but could be better. Adding more internal bracing is a real good idea (Jim Salk's enclosures for the Rythmik subs are absolutely incredible!), as is adding a second layer of MDF to the single 3/4" panels, which are barely sufficient. I designed my own 4cu.ft. double-walled sealed enclosure, drawing up the plans and having a flat pack cut by a cabinet maker in my locale. Assembly with wood glue and braces is not too difficult, and the MDF can be veneered or painted in any way one wishes. I chose "Hot Rod Black" by John Deere, intended for their farm tractors. Looks real cool, like a 50's custom car---not glossy, not flat, more of an eggshell type low sheen. No flames, though!

dlcockrum

Did you use the hi-level input (mandatory IME) from your amp to the Studio III in your auditions?

Dave
Yes we did. After a side by side comparison with the owners of a Velodyne DD-18, JL Audio F-113v1, and a REL Studio III, the REL's propitiatory speaker/high level connectivity greatly restricted its location within the listening room and affected the imaging of the main speakers.  

Feeding the REL a processed low level signal from the DD-18 removed it from the speaker chain which also allowed for better room positioning and improved its performance a great deal. Even so the other two subwoofers clearly integrated better and provided a more robust well defined presentation in this particular room. 

artemus_5 OP

I have considered adding a second Storm 3. However, the price they want is near to what I can buy a new SVS. And, the Storm is now 12-15 yrs old. IOW, its old and ready for service or retirement soon. So I am hesitant. However the storm does integrate very naturally. And I use the high level input as per Rel's advice.
My only experience with REL was with our little comparison. The cabinetry was very well done and may have accounted for a large portion of its cost of manufacture but I couldn't say for sure.

As I mentioned above installing the Studio III using the manufactures preferred high level cable connection affected the imaging of the main speakers. The affect was slight but noticeable to me. We used long runs of economical Blue Jeans low level RCA cable in the comparison and Cardas Golden Reference speaker cable to the mains. I've read after market cabling may improve its performance.

You might consider slaveing your Storm from your choice of a newer subwoofer. 

Extra low frequency performance is very room dependent. Add in personal taste and the amount of setup involvement make any subwoofer choice a very personal one. 
I have an REL S5 and would not trade it for anything. It does everything i, prior to buying it, that i wanted and then some. I great product.
The one thing I really like about the Rel is the ease and seamless integration with the main speakers. It may not have the best specs. but numbers don't give the full story. one of my worst purchases was a piece of equipment with #'s to die for. I hated every moment with it..

bdp24. Thanks for the wealth of information you have given. I like the concept of the servo system. And I have read nothing but good about the Rhythmik's musical performance. Since my system is in the LR, I have a limited space and I want 2 subs. The price difference between the 12 & 15" is very small. So I find myself in a quandary of space vs economics
artemus_5

No- REL has not fallen out w/ audiophiles. To my ears, it is the best sub in the marketplace. There is a model, budget or not, for everyone. You would be hard-pressed to discover a more musical subwoofer. Easy integration as well.
Happy Listening!
More good feedback m-db. Thank you. I also find that my RELs effect the imaging/soundstage but in a positive way in my room/setup and agree that they are fussy about placement and setup. The SR Tesla REL-spec Hi-level cable was a big improvement over the stock REL cable - tighter, more defined bass, better bass tonality & air, and better soundstage impact. The stock cable is muddy sounding in comparison.

Dave