VPI 2nd Pivot for 3D

I just installed mine and discovering my old records anew.  I thought I knew everything there was to know on the original pressing of Fleetwood Mac's Rumers......but no - there's more.  You immediately hear a more solid bass, but then the dynamics hit hard.  It sounds like my amp is on steroids.  More cleanliness, - everything is better.  Very highly recommended.
128x128stringreen
Dear @moonglum : There are several audio subjects we are not totally aware of or that just we need to remember it.

Cartridge/tonearm/LP relationship is the most important subject in the analog experience.

Those very high forces generated in between puts its own " signature " on what we are listening.
It is not only that ( for me ) unipivots are forbidden tonearm designs but at almost the same critical importance is the tonearm necessity of been perfectly damped through its design or other way: forbidenn.

We have to remember that all those generated vibrations/resonances/errors between the LP/cartridge/tonearms continuously are generating feedback through that " circuit " adding complexity to the whole main subject.

Good that you had that " number " at the tonearm bearing.

Over the net exist " formidable " scientific information. AES/BAS are some sources about but I can see that in your country you already was aware of all those.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Dear Raul,

The report you published is the first I’ve seen that confirms my long-held belief that diamonds “burn” more than they “wear”. Many thanks for that! :)

The importance of the “message” rather than the messenger is the main thing. People may differ on what they regard as the perfect analogue medium or how to achieve it but it is gratifying that vinyl records are still being celebrated today regardless of those differences.

Diverse solutions are also something to celebrate.

It shows that we’re still alive and thinking even if there are downsides and compromises. :)

Best regards,

Bill

For those seeking a more "stable" platform for their cartridge that combines all the virtues of 3D construction (non-resonant, tonal purity) and unipivot design (extended treble, lots of inner detail) you may be interested in the new VPI 10" gimbaled arm that is a (superior) variant of the one that will appear on the Levinson table. I had a unipivot 3D-10 for about a year and it performed extremely well on my vintage Scout. I was able to work with Mat and Harry to outfit a "curvey" Scout plinth with their new gimbaled 3D-10 and can tell you that it has all the virtues of the unipivot but improves upon the bass response (deeper and tighter), imaging (tighter focus) and resolution (more inner detail and less distortion). The sound has that elusive combination of a relaxed presentation with extraordinary detail that I have heard in a few select top tier vinyl playback systems. I posted pictures on the VPI forum for those interested in taking a look....

http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9306

Actually, you’re right the gimbaled arm has virtues that the unipivot doesn’t and v/v. The reason the 2nd pivot attachment to the unipivot was released is because the 2nd pivot combines the advantages and none of the disadvantages to the competing designs....so said Harry.
Dear @moonglum : If I remember the latest information about was by Dr. A:J Van denHul who measured 160° celcius between the stylus tip and groove.

In the other side the best confirmation  on the critical importance for tonearm true stability bearings to " avoid " all those huge developed forces are the listen experiences by @stringreen and @dodgealum whom owns the true unipivots and compared against the quasi-unipivot ( stringreen. ) and the gimballed one VPI model. Both very precise in the improvement levels.

That's the same experiences audiophiles had when changed from the original Graham tonearm ( similar design to the unipivot AC 3000. ) design to the Phantom ( I think you own this model. ) or from the DP-4 ( similar unipivot design to Highphonic. ) to de DP-6/8 or even the Cobra.

Good that after so long time some tonearm designers took in count the terrible unipivot disadvantage due to that unstability because this is what the cartridge does not needs and is not asking for. We always have to understand the cartridge needs at microscopic levels because almost all comes from there.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.