Why do McIntosh come with cheap plastic remotes?

Any comments as to why Macs come with el-chepo remotes?
Somehow this just doesn't fit with the notion of elegant and robust gear.
sonicbeauty
The worst remote in from older Musical Fidelity.  It was very cheap and they used a RF format that does not allow a user to replace it with a universal remote.  I really liked the 308cr pre-amp and would still be using it if the remote was still alive.  That remote was so bad, I took out to the garage and beat it to bits with a hammer.  Outstanding Therapy! 

to joecasey: your comment ''maybe in there market research MAJORITY of customers don't care "

The majority of customers buy at big-box stores. That's what the market resarch says. I don't agree that high-end audio folks don't care about quality running through with every part of a product including the proverbial remote. You will have your McIntosh fan that will buy mac because it may be their ''dream'' amp. But nevertheless, buying a 5-8K integrated that comes with a (their cost) $7.95 remote is an insult to the customer. And why do they get away with it? Because the brand is strong and still in demand, and frankly because they don't HAVE to supply anything other than a cheap remote. The product will sell whatever is supplied with it, because they can get away with it.
What I hate about most fancy remotes are 2 things:
A.To heavy.
B. You need some special screwdriver to remove the batteries. 
Long lived thread

1- earlier comment about an expensive Omega watch with a cheap strap? Uh, yes. NATO straps 

2- I have 3 remotes in my system 2 metal, one plastic. Battery replacement- plastic remote is easy- slip off battery door. Metal remotes? One needs a Philips screwdriver the other an Allen wrench. None have ever failed. The only remote I have ever seen fail was one that was thrown at a wall. The wall was fine. It was a plastic remote