Best cheap projector for small HT.

Hello all...

I'm figuring to add a projector to my HT system. the only requirements are a vivid colorful picture that can be developed to about 8 feet wide... perhaps a little less, say 7 or so... I don't need high def... just a colorful and highly contrasting picture.... big and bold is better for me than is definition.

also simple conections, component will do, two sets would be nice but certainly at least one set... then S video, as only two items will likely connect to it... a cable box (DVR), AND A dvd/vcr COMBO UNIT. THAT'S IT. JUST TWO THINGS.

It also needs be pretty quiet... as it will likely be right above me only a couple feet or so... and naturally I'll want a screen..

New or slightly used makes me no mind, depending... somewhere around 1000.00 to 1500.00 give or take... for the projector... no idea about the screen...

I spent a ton on a big rear projector and wish I hadn't now... so this time it's just a 'projector and screen... oh, it's doubtful it'll need to cast the images from the side... it''ll be directly in line with the screen, maybe just at the top of the screen throwing the picture straight ahead and downwards...

thanks very very much.
blindjim
Blindjim, needs a projector? Please forgive me, but, for about $2K you can really move up in quality! A new unit with a generous return policy is what I'd suggest. The replacement bulbs can be quite expensive and sample to sample quality variations seem to be unfortunately quite common. High Def will soon be the standard, you may end up needing a converter box just to accept standard def in the near future. On top of that, an 8' screen will really show off the difference between standard and high def. I hope you realize that without spending a lot of money on a special screen, room considerations (ambient light) will be a very serious consideration.
Check this out:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/ChooseHT/Panasonic/AE900u/index.asp
Available used for $1250-$1500 used.
Good luck!
Wow, with the $400 rebate one could purchase the panny 9000 for close to $1500 new. Pretty darn good! Good catch Myraj.
Although I dont have a recommendation, I would like to echo Unsound's advice on warranty and bulbs. Anyone who is shopping for a projector or projection TV should be aware of the high cost of replacement bulbs. I usually look at the extended warranty as just another retail sale they are trying to make, but when you consider that the bulbs can cost up wards of $300 each its something to think about. Also, many extended warranties dont even cover the bulb, or only cover 1 bulb replacement. Some companies offer an extended warranty and a seperate bulb warranty! Just something to think about, until I started started looking to buy a new TV I never knew how involveed the decision is these days.
I agree with the DLP Infocus units. For the money, da_n hard to beat. Use the special paint for the wall and buy the best projector you can buy then upgrade to a screen.

There are many different breeds, but here the DaLite is best deal for the money. Spend the few hundred more than the B model and get a freaking Dasnap, or like. Draper if you can swing it but then a Draper will likely cost more than you projector.

Still you could get a decent Dasnap and NICE Infocus for less than 2 kilo bucks and not spend more than 14-1500 for the projector and paint up front. Add the screen later.

das loon