CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
Yes I Agree,

As with all things audio, they can be better than servers/streamers and vice versa.

Kenny.
I still use CDP.
Since my Luxman D08U arrived I don't remember  last time I used tidal or aurender or DS. 
Regards 
I finally purchased a DAC, and then a server I thought the sound was as good as my CDP, so I sold my CDP. I still enjoy listing to CD'S so I went with the Cambridge transport and now have the best of both formats. I don't think CD's are going away anytime soon, nor that most folks will stop listing to their CD librarys.

If, as many are want to say, hi-fi is in service to the music (rather than and end in itself), then it’s simple. Do you have CD’s? If so, you need something to play them on. If you don’t have CD’s, now is a good time to start acquiring some---they’re cheap, and getting cheaper. It’s just like with LP’s, when they were going out of style. Do they sound good? Like everything else, some do, some don't. So what. Do you listen only to great sounding recordings? If so, you are missing out on a lot of great music.

Bdp24,

Very well said and valid points,
I say pick your poison and go with it and enjoy the music you like.

Best,

Kenny.