Can I Live With A Hardwood Floor?

Hi All,
I could certainly use some advice on this matter. I have Quad 2905 ESL's in my attic and my attic has hardwood floors. I recently moved into this residence never having experienced hardwood floors previously. My speakers are on cones and isolated with Herbie's titanium gliders. I've been able to position the speakers so that they are given enough room to operate effectively but those hardwood floors are brutal at times. My thought leads me to the only obvious solution, 12 feet by 12 feet carpeting. Are there more cost effective ways of approaching this?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks as always!
goofyfoot
sure - just put a rug in between you and the speakers

that’s what I did (Maggie 3.7i)
Thanks Randy. I was thinking that the rug needed to extend behind the speakers as well as in the front. What about the sides. how far to each side would you suggest?
My new stereo room has marble floors, no drapes or carpet and typical drywall and had a nasty slap echo. I installed 25 Synergistic Research HFT's according to their recommendations and the slap echo is gone. I probably didn't need that many but I had them from my previous room.
"My new stereo room has marble floors, no drapes or carpet and typical drywall and had a nasty slap echo. I installed 25 Synergistic Research HFT's according to their recommendations and the slap echo is gone."

lwin- that explains why there is a tread with hundreds of posts. Amazing a fuse has the ability to control reflections. 

Your post is a goof right? If not, those fuses have ears. Takes the YMMV phrase to a new level.

"What about the sides. how far to each side would you suggest?"
goofyfoot-my listening area is hardwood.
A width equaling  the distance speakers are spread apart(outer edge of speakers) is probably fine. Diffuser panels L/R for first reflections really made a difference in my situation. 
I removed wall to wall carpet for hardwood for aesthetic reason, but find the sound more pleasing(realistic)  once the balance was established between 
echo and damping.