John Dunlavy On "Cable Nonsense"

Food for thought...

http://www.verber.com/mark/cables.html
plasmatronic
Pbb, very interesting post. By the way, Bob Carver of Sunfire fame, maintained quite a few years ago, that he could voice his electronics in any way he pleased, to emulate the sound of say earlier tube gear and, so I am told, he proved it successfully more than once.
I heard it for myself, at Bob Carvers home in Snohomish, Washington.
I heard Bob's Dahlquist DQ 10's, first driven by a big Conrad Johnson Tube Amp, then by a Carver Solid State Amp.
The sound was identical.
The problem was, it was not possible to do, in production.
Too many variables

Why stop at cables? There are just as many engineers that will say the same about any other piece of audio equipment. Some people just know everything and have this hobby figured out. Just buy good  but not too expensive speakers, buy the cheapest amp that will adequately drive them, (because all amps sound the same as long as they are not being stressed) buy the cheapest CD player (because digital is digital, and is perfect) hook it all up with zip cord and viola! The worlds  best sounding stereo. Man I wish I would have figured that out for myself years ago. 
chrissain.  The funny thing is, you could do exactly what you just said, with today's equipment, and you might just wind up with a decent sounding system.....