For older guys

On a recent Good Will LP foraging trip, I came across a Perry Como album new still in wrap .
Now, I never cared about Perry as a kid growing up but I had had a very beloved aunt
who adored him, and in her honor bought the album .

Spun it today and ,through the tears for my aunt, I saw why she adored him.
What I took for a sap when I was a kid had changed into a master of what
he did , perfect phrasing and timing , he just made his art, and art it was, seem easy and I was the sap.

schubert
I promise to do penance. I’ll listen to Dean Martin and Perry Como for two hours. Honest injun.
It also took me a lot of years to appreciate Perry (and Dino).  On a recent (mostly country/cowboy) gig, out of nowhere the singer produced a medley of Hot Diggity Dog Diggity and That's Amore.  It was a lot of fun.  I also recall being at a rehearsal about 30 years ago and, during a down moment, running through an impromptu Catch A Falling Star with (God of hellfire) Arthur Brown on vocals.  What a great tune!

Minkwelder, that SCTV skit is an all-time favorite of mine.  Gene Levy is brilliant.
In the mid-70’s I was playing in a Jump Blues/Swing band, and the singer was quite a character. He had a pompadour (in the 70’s?!), wore suits casually, had a 78 collection, and smoked reefer. You know, a "cat". He proposed we do Sinatra’s "That’s Life", and though I had my doubts, it was great. The lingering hippies in the Bay Area looked at us like we were from Mars.
A window back in time to connect with the passed and their passions
i cry like a baby when Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra is played over what remains of my Dad's Hi-fi
good advice when shopping the used record bins - reach out for new stuff that others loved....