MQA according to new Stereophile "loudness button" and "tweaking EQ in presence region"

Stereophile’s May 2017 review of the Mytek Brooklyn DAC (Herb Reichert) states that "in every comparison, MQA made the original recording sound more dynamic and transparent, but only sometimes more temporaly precise."

Seems positive, right? But the next sentence reads....

"After a while the MQA versions began to remind me of those old Loudness Contour buttons on 1960’s receivers, which used equalization to compensate for loss of treble and bass at low listening levels."

Now for the bombshell.....

"Consistently, MQA sounded as though it was tweaking the EQ in the presence region."

"I also noticed that most of the MQA versions sounded rounded off and smoother than the originals."

My opinion is that we gullible audiophiles have been fooled in the past by supposed new technologies, similar to what supposedly early mobile fidelity pressings did with EQ to make listeners think they were hearing an improvement.

In my mind, an alteration of the source is distortion.

Just as TV’S in stores set to torch mode are often preferred on first glance, and speakers that at first grab you with some spectacular aspect can become tiresome over time, as accuracy and neutrality become preferred as one's ear becomes more refined.

The frightening thing is that 2 major music entities have signed on, seemingly to make MQA the defacto standard of how music will made available.

While I haven’t been able to do this comparison myself, reading a highly regarded golden ear admit this in print is warning enough for me.

Just like the sugary drink that tastes so good on first experience, our advanced society knows that consuming it regularly leads to diabetes, heart disease and worse.

Does this revelation reveal MQA to be the parlor trick that it appears to be?
emailists
Sound Science Music Vault Ultra II. Came with Lifetime Roon. Curious USB cable into my Lyngdorf 2170 dac/amp/room correction unit. Love the Lyngdorf selling off about $20,000 worth of separates and cables:) 

AZ Crescendo speakers. Simple system that is as musical as anything I have owner....perhaps even more so! 
Listening to Tidal right now. Fingerpainting ... The music of Herbie Hancock. Sounds better than a CD on my past Luxman DA06 dac and PS Audio Pectfectwave Memory transport. Roon combined with Tidal is just a joy. 
"MQA does not sound like an EQ circuit."

From what I have read, Doing EQ IS one of the features of MQA.
Mr. Stuart believes he can correct the sins of recorders past.
As long as he knows the make and model of the recorder used, MQA can compensate for "well known" (my quotes) deficiencies and set things straight (a very lofty goal).

"If MQA was doing EQ then all MQA titles would reflect the presence boost. They do not."

This statement would be true if ALL digital recording was done on the same machine. A number of different recorders were used -each having their own sonic profile. Some need correction (remastering?) and some don't. 
I have not heard MQA but it is predicated on the idea that you need all that high frequency sound above 48KHz to fully appreciate the music (even if you can’t hear it). We have had SACD and now DSD and I still find all these arguments for greater range way beyond human hearing dubious.

I don’t buy it from a technical perspective - despite the hand waving "smearing" that Bob Stuart imagines. I don’t really care about all that ultra HF noise for playback. Give me well recorded and well mastered 24 bit 96KHz and I am a happy camper as that really is about as good as it needs to get. 16 bit is the biggest weakness of CD IMHO as most studio gear can achieve 22 bit. Having 96KHz means a less aggressive brick wall filter and is a nice to have.