Jeff Rowland to what?

I currently own a Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amplifier. I'm curious as to what amplifiers I should listen to below 20K, new or used. I'm not unhappy, but I'm curious. The amp will be driving Monitor Audio PL500 II's. The preamp is a Jeff Rowland Corus.

ricred1
You are not going to change the speakers you have.  You ruled out ARC gear (and all tubes), so the question boils down to "what electronics will be better than Rowlands"

Is that right?

Ayre was already mentioned.  What about Moon Evolution?

I'll also mention room treatments, or... building a new room.  Then there the possibility of upgrading the source material.
randy-11,

I would change speakers if I had 50K to spend :). I know nothing is perfect, but it took a couple years to decide on speakers. I had Wilson Audio Sasha 1's, and a couple of Revel speakers in between and Aerial 7Ts with dual JL Audio F110 v2s prior to the PL500 IIs. I listened to Magico S5's and Rockport Aviors. I almost purchased Rockport Aviors! I ended up with PL500 II after I had the opportunity to hear them in  my room. I never liked Monitor Audio series I. So to me I would have to spend a lot more, based on "my preferences" to seriously upgrade from what I have.

I'm looking into Moon Audio, because it my understanding that Monitor Audio uses them with the PL500 at shows.

My room is treated with GIK bass traps in the corners and at the first reflection points and the rear wall.

I'm open to suggestions regarding source and cable options.
I would have to agree with ricred It will be very hard to beat the Monitor Audio PL 500 for what they do for the money. 

The new Heil drivers are a bit more laid back then the originals ribbons which were hyper detailed. 

Also the size of the speaker is going to create a very big sound. 

We are big fans of large speakers which help create a life like image and they do not suffer from dynamic compression.

What would be interesting would be a comparison of the Legacy Aeris which is alot like the PL 500 in terms of driver complement type and size.

I would not draw any conclusion as to Moon being a great choice because they use them at shows.

Many Canadian companies show together, and even though Monitor audio is an English brand their importer is Canadadian, add to that that Kevro the importer does not deal with any high end audio electronics lines, could explain the pairing.

Personally we never found the Moon gear to be great, kinds of sound like better Bryston, clean and a bit lean, detailed but not hyper resolving good bass.

We never found their products to be that interesting in terms of sound quality, design or technology, hence we skiped over them in our reference electronics search.

Troy and Dave
Audio Doctor
877 428 2873

@ricred1 

Those Monitor Audio PL500 IIs look like amazing speakers. I bet they sound fantastic with the Jeff Rowland gear. But if I was looking to try something different I would look to the Krell Solo 575.

It would be interesting to hear those speakers with that kind of power behind them.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Richard, as many already pointed out, exceeding the performance of the amp you have without "amping up" the investment very significantly might be a tall order. As you enjoy the sound of M625 S2 but you would like more power, I warmly recommend the Rowland M725 S2 class A/B monos or the Rowland M825 stereo, or the M925 monos. Outside the Rowland World, I might look at Solution amps.... Quite expensive, but yield a musicality that also meets my sound concept.

But there is something you can do to enhance the music of your system while keeping M625 S2, Corus, and the Aeris DAC.... Last week I have installed the recently released Rowland Power Storage Unit (PSU). As I mentioned via email, this is an external full chassis power supply based on ultra-capacitors. It is designed to feed simultaneously Aeris and Corus with pure DC, and takes them off the AC mains grid. I had heard glowing third party reports on it, but I was a little skeptical... While I have not had ultra-capacitors in my system, I understood the concept, and have had battery powered pre-amplifcation before.... And the performance difference between batteries and AC was very subtle.

But when I connected PSU into the Rowland Aeris DAC I realized that batteries supplies and PSU are totally different animals... The performance enhancement is simply staggering, even on my system which I already considered wonderful, where Aeris feeds directly a pair of Rowland M925 4-chassis monoblocks into Vienna Acoustics Die Muzik. The enhancement is apparent from first activation for all audible parameters I can think of, and is followed by a rapid evolution lasting perhaps 200 hours, which pushes performance even futher.

I will soon create a dedicated thread on PSU with a lot more detail.

Guido