Tune of the Day

"Blue Rondo a la Turk"  on the Two Generations of Brubeck album.  Wow.

There are many fine versions of this tune, but this one gets me dancing, clapping, fist-pounding, whatever, every time....and it's not easy to dance in, what, 9/8?  I love tunes that grow, build, develop, and move through changes.  This one just picks me up and takes me right along with it.  Great melding of jazz and rock idioms, too.  It's fun to imagine Dave Brubeck setting the groove and then sitting back to hear where his kids and their friends take it. 

You can continue exploring Dave and the kids on Two Generations of Brubeck, "The Great Spirit Made Us All".  And Chris Brubeck's rock/jazz band Sky King on "Secret Sauce".

For extra credit, give a "spin" to Chase, "Bochawa" from their last album, Pure Music.

Anyway, that's my two cents today.

77jovian
@77jovian - I’ve really enjoyed the thread. Thank You for initiating it and thanks to everyone who has posted a Tune of the Day.

I’ve been thinking about trying to post a daily tune of a track that has some meaning to me, or just a song I like and want to share. Some might be popular hits from the past and some might be more obscure. Also, they may be various different genres. Since this is an active thread, I figured it would be a good place to post my daily selections. Please let me know if I you think I should start a new "daily tune" thread or continue to use this one. I don't want to take over your thread......

Today’s offering:

The Soft Boys - "Only the Stones Remain"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GQhi_1xNDQ

Thanks, Reubent, I have really enjoyed this thread.  So many great suggestions.  I have learned about many new tracks and bands and have been reminded of others I knew of but had neglected.  I'll be looking forward to your contributions, including The Soft Boys, which is new to me.

My suggestions today (couldn't limit myself to one today):

Mark O'Connor and the O'Connor Family Band, "Coming Home"
Lenny Breau and Brad Terry, "Blues for Carole", from The Complete Living Room Tapes
The Marcus King Band, "Virginia", from KBCO Studio C, Volume 28 (a little obscure but worth finding).

if you only have time for one, Brad Terry's whistling solo on "Blues for Carole" is stupendous.  Almost makes you overlook the playing on the rest of this track, and that's saying something.