Full range or subwoofer with bookshelfs for best bass at low to moderate volume?

I have an older subwoofer with bookshelf speakers and the subwoofer is dying. I listen mostly at low to moderate volume and am in the middle of changing over my system as my Pioneer Elite VSX 49 TXI receiver was degrading, also due to age. My question is whether a subwoofer with bookshelf speakers or full range speakers produce more bass at low to moderate volume? 

Current system:
Moon Audio 250i integrated amp
Angstrom signature 3 speakers ( 6.5", Seas drivers, 86 DB, 6 Ohm)
Paradigm subwoofer (needs to be replaced)
Denon 2910 used as transport
Looking for an analog sounding dac at this time

mtloriginal
In my experience if you listen mostly to small scale music then a sub/sat approach is best.  If you like large scale music - symphonies, hard rock, maybe big band, then you'll prefer full range speakers.  Small woofers aren't satisfying on really dynamic music.  You need at least 8", preferably 10" or more woofers.  Not subwoofers.  Subs are crossed over at 80hz or less.  You need a big woofer playing up to at least 200hz to produce the right slam.  Little 6.5" drivers won't do it from more than a few feet away. 
Hello bob_reynolds,

This 1st link is an interesting and informative interview with Dr.Earl Geddes, although he only addresses multiple sub theory for a short section, on Dagogo’s website:

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=1047

Here’s 2 links that go into more detail on his multiple sub theory (DBAs):

1. Dr. Earl Geddes, "Why Multiple Subs" (2011)
  2. Dr. Earl Geddes, "Setting Up Multiple Subs" (2011)
The last link is to an Absolute Sound review of the Audio Kinesis Swarm DBA (almost identical to the Audio Kinesis Debra DBA that I use):

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

To be fair, the reviewer, Robert E. Greene, does mention that the parametric equalizer on the supplied amp can be used as needed (usually to eliminate the floor-to-ceiling boom).

So, I will concede the point that a DBA’s performance can be even further optimized through the use of a PEQ. But I should note that I leave all the PEQ settings on my amp set to ’flat’. I believe my thickly carpeted floor may be responsible for taming any potential floor-to-ceiling boom and obviating the need for any correcting equalization.

I have nothing against using PEQ to optimize bass response in a room/system. My stance is just that I have no need for PEQ, room treatments (beyond my carpeted floor which was not pre-planned) or any other tools/equipment in my room/system. If you, or anyone, is obtaining good bass response through the use of mics, room analysis/room correction software, room treatments and PEQ then my response is: "Great!".

I’m sufficiently humble to realize there’s more than one method to achieving very good bass response in one’s room. The gist of what I’ve been attempting to convey is that the use of a complete or custom DBA, without the use of any further equipment/tools or materials, is one of these methods that has worked very well for me and may work for others looking for a relatively simple and affordable solution for their rooms/systems.

Enjoy,
Tim
I'm running Revel M106 mains and an SVS SB16-Ultra sub. If you get a sub like the SB16-Ultra, there will be NO SPEAKER that comes close in terms of bass distortion or quantity. These subs also have 3 parametric EQ bands to deal with standing wave issues.

If you dial in the sub, it's pretty hard to tell it's there. For now, I'm really happy with the sound. I will have to spend a LOT on different speakers to achieve a significant upgrade.

The main issue I see with buying bookshelf or 2-way speakers is that you have one 6 inch driver trying to handle over 5 octaves of music. It means the lower bass from the driver will have high distortion and not much punch, and the higher midrange is being produced by a larger than optimal driver. In addition, it might be trying to reproduce 1500hz while trying to reproduce 50hz at the same time, and that causes phase distortion for the higher frequency. In other words, the 1500hz isn't coming from a single distance driver from you, that driver could be moving in and out a half inch or more.

I like the concept of the KEF Ref 1, because it has a modest bass driver to take the load off of the midrange driver. I would expect a better midrange from a system like that, and imagine they might be able to cross the tweeter over at a higher, easier frequency.

BTW, I replaced an old sub with the SVS and it is a huge difference. It really sounds integrated now and doesn't sound like it's behind.
I opted for the full range approach, albeit in a large monitor form. The main proponent being cost. An entry level musical sub will be 1-2k, an added cost I wanted to avoid. Plus subs are finicky: placement, crossover, gain. Always go the path of least resistance. Simplicity reigns.
Another factor: room + musical tastes. If I gravitated towards electronic, dub,etc the sub angle would be more attractive. However, no sub at all beats one that is improperly set up. So I went low risk, high reward.