Full range or subwoofer with bookshelfs for best bass at low to moderate volume?

I have an older subwoofer with bookshelf speakers and the subwoofer is dying. I listen mostly at low to moderate volume and am in the middle of changing over my system as my Pioneer Elite VSX 49 TXI receiver was degrading, also due to age. My question is whether a subwoofer with bookshelf speakers or full range speakers produce more bass at low to moderate volume? 

Current system:
Moon Audio 250i integrated amp
Angstrom signature 3 speakers ( 6.5", Seas drivers, 86 DB, 6 Ohm)
Paradigm subwoofer (needs to be replaced)
Denon 2910 used as transport
Looking for an analog sounding dac at this time

mtloriginal

Showing 4 responses by noble100

mtloriginal,

I generally agree with willand that bookshelf monitors with a good quality sub can equal or likely better the performance of a pair of floorstander speakers, if $$ and quality are equalized.

Acoustical experts have proven that frequencies below about 200 hz interact in any given room very differently than frequencies above 200 hz interact.  Low frequency sound waves are much longer than mid-range and treble sound waves.  A  20 hz sound wave is about 56ft long while a 20,000 hz sound wave is less than an inch long.  Basically the lower the frequency, the longer the corresponding sound wave and the higher the frequency, the shorter the corresponding sound wave. 
     Because of the above, the room size is also an important factor in how bass sound waves interact within the room and affects how the bass response sounds in that room.  Generally, the smaller the room, the more difficult good bass response becomes.  This is because the very long deep bass sound waves launched from the sub are likely longer than any room dimension within the room.  This means these waves will be forced to continue to bounce off the room boundaries (walls, floors and ceiling) until they run out of energy.  

Further complicating the situation, the sub is continually launching additional bass sound waves, of varying frequencies and lengths, into the room.  The result is that these long direct and reverberated sound waves inevitably crash into each other, causing something called bass standing waves.
      These bass standing waves are audible at the specific room locations they occur as bass peaks (perceived as bass over-emphasis), bass nulls (perceived as bass under-emphasis) and bass cancellations (perceived as a complete absence of bass).  
     If given a room's dimensions, ceiling height, room boundary materials and location of the low frequency drivers (woofers/subs) within the room, acoustic experts are able to accurately predict and plot the bass response throughout the entire room; including the specific locations at which bass peaks, nulls and cancellations will exist.
     If you were to play music with good and repetitive bass content and walk around your room listening for how the bass sounds at various positions within the room, it's obvious exactly where the bass response is good and where bass peaks, nulls and cancellations exist.
     The only empirically proven method discovered to date for providing very good bass response that is well dispersed throughout any given room is the use of a Distributed Bass Array (DBA) system.   

The DBA system was initially theorized by 2 PHD Acoustical engineers, mainly Dr. Geddes and to a lesser extent Dr. Toole.  Through experiments they discovered that the more bass point sources (subs) present in a room of any size, the fewer bass standing waves exist in the room.  This means the more subs in a room, the better the bass response and the more evenly it is dispersed throughout the entire room.

Of course, they realized there was a practical limit to the number of subs consumers would find acceptable in their commercial (theaters, clubs and bars) or domestic (residential) rooms.  Fortunately and critically, they also discovered that the use of four strategically located subs eliminated the vast majority of standing waves in any given room, with only marginal improvements obtained through additional subs.
     This is why most commercially available complete DBA systems, such as the $3,000 Audio Kinesis Debra and Swarm systems, consist of four 4 ohm subs along with a 1,000 watt class A/B amp to power them. 
     I'm definitely not an acoustical expert.  I just learned the above through my extensive internet research in an effort to find  a good home bass system solution that would provide very good bass response for both 2 channel music and HT use and integrate well with my Magnepan speakers.
     I'm going to end this post here before I write a book. But I'm willing to assist you in finding a good bass solution for your room. It doesn't need to be a $3,000 DBA system since I have some other ideas. Please let me know your room size, budget and whether you'll be using your system for music, HT or both.  I'll continue my advise on a future post if you'd like.

Tim

bob_reynolds,

You stated:
"Though I’m a fan of Dr. Geddes and Duke’s implementation, the above quote isn’t quite true. The vast majority of systems use parametric equalization to manage room modes. Both approaches have their place."

It is true that the vast majority of systems do use parametric equalization.
But your statement implies that parametric equalization is as effective as a DBA system in managing bass room modes. This is definitely not true.
A parametric equalizer, at best, can optimize bass response at a single location or sweet spot. Wherever the calibrating mic is placed will be the only spot in the entire room where bass is optimized. Get up and walk anywhere else in the room and you’ll be disappointed in the bass response.

A DBA 3-4 sub system will eliminate the vast majority of bass standing waves in any room, optimizing bass response in the entire room. There’s not a bad seat in the room.

Both may have their place but they are not even close to equal.
Comparing parametric equalization to a DBA is like comparing a band-aid to a total cure.

I stand by my statement.

Tim

bob_reynolds,

You stated:
" There is no approach that will produce a smooth bass response everywhere in the room and there is no need for it."

Let's investigate your sentence for truthfulness. It requires breaking down because your single sentence actually contains two statements that are false:

1. " There is no approach that will produce a smooth bass response everywhere in the room"
     Yes there is.  It is called a Distributed Bass Array (DBA) system that consists of 3-4 subs strategically positioned in the room and it does exactly what you claim it does not do; it produces a smooth bass response everywhere in the room as a result of removing the vast majority of bass standing waves which are known to cause bass peaks, nulls  and cancellations in typical rooms.
     This was theorized and empirically tested and proven by two PHD acoustical engineers. Dr. Earl Geddes and Dr. Floyd Toole, years ago. Their theory, methodology, testing experiments and results are thoroughly documented in the White Papers they subsequently published.  Their results have since been independently verified numerous times.  

2. " and there is no need for it".  What there is no need for when utilizing a DBA is any mics, room analysis/room correction software, room treatments or PEQ.  I think many members and audiophiles would likely disagree with your statement that there is no need for a hi-fidelity state-of the art bass system that is able to accurately and seemingly effortlessly reproduce the full spectrum of bass frequencies in any room without the need for any equipment or software assistance.  

I'm surprised that you, as an admitted 'fan of Dr. Geddes and Duke's approach', apparently know so little about their DBA approach and its simplicity and effectiveness.

Sure, not everyone can accommodate 3-4 relatively small subs in their rooms that a DBA requires, but this is a separate matter.

Yes, the DBA approach may not produce smooth and accurate bass response literally everywhere throughout the entire room.   But, as a user of the Audio Kinesis Debra DBA system for the past few years, I'm not aware of any position in my 23 x 16 room at which bass response is poor.  There may be a spot or 2 but I'm not concerned since it's definitely not at any of my room's 6 seating positions.

The only need for parametric equalization (PEQ) in a DBA system is for bass exaggeration or attenuation based on personal preferences.

Tim
Hello bob_reynolds,

This 1st link is an interesting and informative interview with Dr.Earl Geddes, although he only addresses multiple sub theory for a short section, on Dagogo’s website:

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=1047

Here’s 2 links that go into more detail on his multiple sub theory (DBAs):

1. Dr. Earl Geddes, "Why Multiple Subs" (2011)
  2. Dr. Earl Geddes, "Setting Up Multiple Subs" (2011)
The last link is to an Absolute Sound review of the Audio Kinesis Swarm DBA (almost identical to the Audio Kinesis Debra DBA that I use):

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

To be fair, the reviewer, Robert E. Greene, does mention that the parametric equalizer on the supplied amp can be used as needed (usually to eliminate the floor-to-ceiling boom).

So, I will concede the point that a DBA’s performance can be even further optimized through the use of a PEQ. But I should note that I leave all the PEQ settings on my amp set to ’flat’. I believe my thickly carpeted floor may be responsible for taming any potential floor-to-ceiling boom and obviating the need for any correcting equalization.

I have nothing against using PEQ to optimize bass response in a room/system. My stance is just that I have no need for PEQ, room treatments (beyond my carpeted floor which was not pre-planned) or any other tools/equipment in my room/system. If you, or anyone, is obtaining good bass response through the use of mics, room analysis/room correction software, room treatments and PEQ then my response is: "Great!".

I’m sufficiently humble to realize there’s more than one method to achieving very good bass response in one’s room. The gist of what I’ve been attempting to convey is that the use of a complete or custom DBA, without the use of any further equipment/tools or materials, is one of these methods that has worked very well for me and may work for others looking for a relatively simple and affordable solution for their rooms/systems.

Enjoy,
Tim