Tube dampeners on ARC gear ... FREE TWEAK

Here's a cheap (free) tweak for owners of ARC gear using the black tube dampeners. If you move both dampeners as far up toward the top of the tube as possible without having the top one fall off, taking care that both dampeners are solidly touching each other, you will get better dynamics, bass, mids, highs and a lower noise floor. Try it ... you'll like it.
128x128oregonpapa
Richard ...

I didn't get around to changing the position of the dampeners today, so nothing to report at this time.  I'll give it a go in the morning and report back.

Frank
I always listen to my system while enjoying the morning coffee. Home roasted coffee, using only organically grown beans on small family owned farms, of course. We audiophiles have other obsessions too, ya know. *lol*

Okay, so before this morning’s listening session, I moved all of the Herbies dampeners up to where the "getters" are. The result? More overall clarity in the presentation. Thanks to Richard and geoffkait for the suggestion. Very nice, guys.

If anyone reading this is interested in getting into home roasting their coffee, here’s the site to visit:

www.sweetmarias.com

Excellent service. Excellent coffee from around the world. Yes, its a bother ... but its akin to converting from solid state to tubes. Once there you will never go back. :-) If you want my suggestions on roasting equipment, feel free to ask.

Now back to the listening session ...

Frank

czarivey
Try to remove dampers and see what’s there.
Tubes don’t need to be dressed.

Gosh, that’s weird. We’ve known all tubes are microphonic, even tubes that are marked "non-microphonic," for eons. Didn’t you get the memo? The good news is that you’re partially correct (if accidentally) as most dampers do more harm than good.