Dac: Does anyhting beat the Schiit Gungnir Multibit (Gumby) in the same price range?

Schitt Gungnir Multibit (Gumby): Does anything beat it in the same price range?
pmboyd
I find the Peachtree DACITx to be a superb sounding inexpensive DAC. No DSD but that's not a deal  breaker for me.
timlub,

I have no personal experience with Gustard but I feel that it`s a bit over-hyped on some forums. You can check Head-Fi forums for Denafrips Ares R2R ladder dac. Here are some words from the HF member with very revealing top high-end system:

During the plays I also made a comparison with another my dac, Gustard X20U and with a dac of a friend of mine, Holo Spring level one, very similar technology as well since it is a R2R ladder dac. Well, the Gustard, unfortunately for me, is less on each parameter to Ares, impractical comparison.
Holo instead plays very well, especially in nos mode, but Ares is better, slightly, but better in the acoustic scene, it is more refined and even more detailed. The high frequencies are more airy with Ares while Holo they are a little more sparkling, bass frequency with both are very deep and controlled, on voices Ares win again on points, with Holo you hear a hint of sibilance that instead there aren't with Ares.

If you are interested in a R2R ladder DAC, there was a lot of buzz on the forum about the HOLO Audio – Spring DAC. Some say it beats both the Schiit Gumby and Yggy.
The Level 2 version is modded and priced at $1899, the Level 3 is $2499.
(I have no first hand knowledge).
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/springdacred/

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/holo-audio-spring-dac-affordable-discrete-r2r-multibit-dac-co...

@pmboyd, I haven't tried the Schitt, but have recently auditioned a number of DACs including Meridian Director, Cambridge Audio, Resonessence Concero HP, TEAC.  Of the lot, the Concero was a step above the others. 

During our auditions in two different systems, it tended to have a more open, wider soundstage than most others. It has a very realistic tonal balance and timbre.  Very tight, but deep bass, making it the most musical of the bunch. 

Very impressive at the price point US $850.  My guess is that it will compete very well against similar or somewhat higher priced DACs.  

I suggest an audition, which might save you a few dollars.