the eternal cable question

Hi Everyone,

My goal here is to whittle down the mess that is the interconnect jungle with the help of my wise, knowledgable, and generous Audiogoners.

I have been researching and reading tons of stuff, Copper, Silver, Silver over Copper, Gold, Palladium, Rhodium, Fluids, 4N-9N, 99.999%, 99.9999%, 99.99999%, OCC, OHCC, OFC, Twisted, Helix, Double Helix, Solid wire, Stranded wire, Teflon, Air, Shielded, Unshielded, XLR, RCAs,.... Head Exploding!

Some of you have given me some great advice already but I have more questions. 

There seems to be a rule of thought that Silver sounds better with Tubes and Copper / Gold sounds better with Solid State. And well made Pure Solid Silver will sound good with both. Of course I know that it will all depend on my own ears when it comes down to it. However is there some truth to that? 

Is it true that mixing metals can produce different sonic results? Example... Gold RCAs will help tone down Silver wire? Or Silver Eichmanns RCAs can liven up Copper wire? It has been suggested that I use Silver plugs with Silver over Copper wire in teflon. That is the Morrow configuration.

Is it best to go with one company if they offer all the different cables or is combining different okay? You'll see from my list below that Almadi, Cabledyne, and Cerious do not offer a full set of cables.

Should I use the same company for interconnects from the VPI to the Herron and then the Herron to the Coda? The Herron is a Tube Phono preamp. 

Would like to hear from those of you who own SS amps and or similar systems to mine. Those of you who own Tubes amps will have to convince me that your interconnects will sound good on SS.  

My current system is

Coda CSIB Integrated Amp
Oppo BDP 105D
VPI Scout Turntable with an Ortofon 2m Bronze mm cartridge
Herron Audio VTHP-1 Tube Phono Preamp
Revel F52 Speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofer
Furman Linear Filtering AC Power Source Conditioner ELITE-15 DMI

Currently running Blue Jeans between everything with 12 gauge copper for the Revels.

They sound alright. A little grainy in the upper ranges, Sound stage fluctuates with the recordings. The biggest thing is that I can't help but think that my sound can be better.

My budget is $1500 for all the cables and interconnects. Used is good.

My current list of cables to audition consists of Morrow, Almadi, Cabledyne, Cerious Graphene Extreme, Gabriel Gold Revelations.

Thank You for your time and generosity in teaching this Audio Grasshopper the ways of the Audiophile Force.

Peace,

Mark 

meambler
AQ actually keeps their models out for several years. I would go to their website and hit the pricebook tab. All models and specs for each cable are listed here along with the retail price. Look for cables ideally with perfect surface copper(PSC) and possibly the DBS system if within budget. The details per model are laid out bare so that you can see what you are paying for. Also prior models can be compared to the latest models by checking these same specs. Used is great as you can purchase a superior older cable for the same or possibly less money than a new model. 
As far as counterfeits go they are definitely out there. Just be prudent as to the seller and his/her feedback and info as to the source. Be very wary of deals that look too good to be true. Counterfeiting is a backhanded compliment to a very fine product. 
@meambler My entire system is wired with AQ Colorado. They have the purest copper conductors (PSC+) with highest quality dielectric (Teflon). One and one and a half meter ICs are on sale at half price here https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/audioquest-colorado-interconnects-pr

@meambler , Mark, since you asked, I am using High Fidelity CT-1E interconnects from my VPI Prime to my Allnic H1201 phono preamp AND from my Allnic H1201 phono preamp to my ARC Ref 5 line preamp. Probably out of your price range though.

I have also owned the Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme and Amadi Maddie Signature interconnects. Of those two, the Amadi probably works better in my current rig, to my ears.

However, if you are having troubles with grain in your system, silver (Amadi) may not be for you. The CT GE are much warmer and fuller sounding, though too dark for my system/tastes. I don't think you would find the CT GE would sound grainy though.

Unfortunately, yes, counterfeit  Audioquest are indeed a big problem. I'm sure that many for sale on sites like Audiogon are fairly safe, but markets like Ebay tend to flood the market with fakes, and AQ, XLO, and Tara Labs are high up on the list of counterfeiters.
Small manufacturers like CT and Amadi are not really picked on by counterfeiters.
To update this thread...

I went with a pair of Teo Game Changers and I'm very happy with the sound that runs through them. Miles better than the Amadis, CT Graphenes, Morrows, Gabriel golds, and the Cabledynes

FWIW,

I've found a "lesser cable" of any brand with eichman connectors sounds better than a higher level one with RCA's .