If NOS pre or power tubes became unavailable altogether, what new tubes would you buy?

Hey tuberollers, 

I'm curious to see what happens if there's a gun to your head, or more practically all NOS tubes disappear (dread).  What would you do with your line/pre stage and/or power stage?  

I have tried 5 different NOS 12AU7s and only 1 new 12AU7 in my preamp section (Cifte, RCA black plates (late 50s), Sylvanias, Baldwin organ tubes, Amperex 70s orange globes, and new Chinese stock Primaluna tubes).  In my power section, I have not tried any NOS tubes and 3 types of tubes (stock Chinese Primaluna EL34s, reissue Mullard EL34s, and reissue Gold Lion KT88s).  

Side note: I haven't ventured into NOS power tubes because of the cost and availability/scarcity.  I need 8 of them!

Without having tried anything else, I would be lost on new or reissue 12AU7s.  On the power tube side, I'd be just fine with either the reissue Mullard EL34s or the Gold Lion KT88s.  
128x128jbhiller

raul, please go start your own thread.

enginedr, solid state components can sound very different from each other too. There is no way to know what a recording is supposed to sound like, so you might as well listen to a system that sounds good to you.

I understand that and do . My system has 4 tubes the phase inverter tube a 12at7 type makes the biggest change in the tone . I use a SS digital pre with a TVC volume control . I like having a one tube roll
I stock-piled enough to outlast the life of the amplifier (and perhaps me as well).
@enginedr1960I I think the only thing Raul gets me thinking is that he's a poseur: His strong opinions are not backed by any experiences he cares to share. There is no "one-size-fits-all" perfect signal path out there, or we'd all have one and there would be no need for discussion or chat rooms. The very subjective nature of the audio experience is what leads to such a multitude of opinion.