More discrete R2R Mulibit dacs.

There are many now going to the trouble of doing discrete R2R Mulitbit now that the last/latest Burr Brown PCM1704 multibit chip is no longer available "rip".

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-terminator-r2r-dac

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi
Hi George,

I just ordered Ares for use with my TV. I`t will be interesting to see how it competes against my other digital. Never had discrete R2R before.
plutos
This is a bit off topic, I don’t know how this works in the US, but in Australia I have a 55" Panasonic plasma (I don’t find led or o’led natural), and a Panasonic PVR.
On one or the other can’t remember, in the setup menu both or one of them has two different digital (pcm or bitstream) for the digital out to choose from for the toslink, so I would say with this Multibit dac choose the pcm output, as that’s what they’re good at.

Cheers George
George,
I`m in Europe actually.
Yes that`s exactly what I plan to do. PCM from TV to DAC via toslink.
Interestingly I didn`t find OLED`s natural also and choose Philips 8 series instead. OLED`s seem too dark and artificial no matter what settings you choose. Plasma colors are much more real. I have Pioneer plasma myself in my apartment.
George thanks but when I say implementation I am talking about the total design.  The DHT DAC that I build has a 30lbs power supply.  A little different than the typical DAC chip or R2R implementation.  Tube rectification, tube rectifier, current limiting, etc.  Most people think I am showing them a power amp when they see it.

Digital Section:
Utilizing R-2R discrete resistors digital to analog converting topology
Clock Jitter RMS: 0.8ps typical
Jitter Reduction: FIFO Buffer and reClock with low jitter clock
Input SPDIF (RCA/XLR): Up to 24 bit/ 192 Khz
Input I2S PCM (HDMI): Up to 24 bit/ 384 Khz
Input I2s DSD (HDMI): Up to DoP128 and DSD256
Frequency Range: 20 hz to 20 Khz

Analog Section:
Frequency Range: 20 hz to 20 Khz
Tubes: 101D Direct Heated Tubes for output stage. 5AR4/GZ34, 6C45pi, 101D, OC2 tubes for high voltage regulator
Tube Buffer: Full Music or Psvane 101D Direct Heated Tubes with point-to-point direct wiring, utilizing transformer coupling between digital and analog sections to isolate digital noise.
Analog Power Supply: LC (double chokes and Clarity Polypropylene TC 600 capacitors) filtering with direct heated tube for high voltage regulation in shunt regulator configuration.
The DAC section and power supply section are in separate chassis.

Power Section
Power Input: 110V/220V 50/60 hz (factory pre-configured)
Output Capacitors: OIMP Oil Impregnated Metalized Polypropylene Audio V-Capacitors