More discrete R2R Mulibit dacs.

There are many now going to the trouble of doing discrete R2R Mulitbit now that the last/latest Burr Brown PCM1704 multibit chip is no longer available "rip".

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-terminator-r2r-dac

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi
Yes the AD5791 is still available but it was never designed as an audio dac, I don’t know what the down sides are for this in audio use. I believe the last audio one was the PCM1704 and it was more like >$120, a Delta Sigma is like <$10.

"AD5791 APPLICATIONS:
Medical instrumentation Test and measurement Industrial control High end scientific and aerospace instrumentation."

Cheers George
Cool looking Dac but seriously Denafrips? That might be one of the worst names for audio gear ever :-)
I use an R2R in my dac but that is where the similarities end.  It is like saying a preamp uses 6DJ8/6922 tubes but one company uses the Amperex tube brand.  It comes down to the component design.  My power supply weighs in at 30lbs and I use DHT design.  So while the R2R may be better sounding, it still comes down to the design and implementation.  If it was just the R2R, I could make a DAC for $500!  There are plenty of good sounding DAC chips available such as the Sigma 32 bit for one.

Happy Listening. 
Speaking of R2R just picked up a 20 year old Audio Note Dac-3 Signature which uses a K grade BB PCM63 chip which is I believe R2R. It sounds utterly fantastic.
bigkidz

If you care to look/study and compare most dac chip manufacturer data sheets are adhered to for implementation, even some (hiend ones) using even the exact I/V stage and buffer stage that’s on those data sheets.
"Some" (me, Audio Note above ) use different I/V and buffers, but as far as dac implementation itself they nearly all follow the data sheet protocols.
But doing discrete with this topic that's another thing again.

Cheers George